2014 four winns thoughts

1976CV16

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, my old boat is starting to nickel and dime me to death so im looking at new boats. Top of the list is a Four Winns 190 RS with a Volvo penta 225. Does anybody have experience with these boats, motors, outdrives, etc?

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Yes, there is a member here "Robopath" that has the exact same boat. He may check in and answer specific's.
The motor and out drive come in many different brands of boats, so it's not specific to Four Winns.
I have 8 years of personal ownership experience with a Four Winns boat, but not with the new models made after
the bankruptcy.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
What interests you in a Four Winns H190RS, color ?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
We looked at those last year when we were considering a new boat. Great design, they really figured out a way to make that back seat huge.

robopath

Seaman Apprentice
Ha, thanks for the intro slip away! I'd be happy to help answer any questions that you have. I have the 2013 190 RS in Green (it's in blue also for 2014). I got the VP 225 V6, not the 225 V8. I did add the FW extended swim platform over this offseason and would highly recommend it. BTW, the boat has been perfect for me and my family. I've got 62 hours on it. As old jeep mentioned, you will not find a more spacious 19ft boat anywhere. Here is a good video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyVXV6-o848

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Maybe did not give enough info :noidea:

:popcorn: Grab some and wait it out I guess......

crazyone

Cadet
Sorry this is a long list of why I should have bought the crownline instead....This is a 2007 Fourwins 18 foor. I have pictures of all of this over the year if anyone wants to see....

My similar 07 purchased new was a TOTAL POS. Four winns went bankrupt almost immediately after I purchased it, and of course right before I started having problems with the boat. Things to date that have been replaced, repaired ect:

Carb was defective from day one, took several adjustments, dealer couldn't get it replaced due to the bankruptcy, and then they too went out of business...

Engine always seemed to run hot, and dealer says 'likely bad sender' but since I couldn't get any warranty work done, it was not replaced. Several other shops said seemed normalish so I let it go. Years later I took it apart to find the thermostat looked like someone had stepped on it and still installed it.

Rear seat has a half *****ed bungee cord that came out during towing, and seat went flying on interstate. bungee pulled out. it was held in with a wood screw that only protruded 1/2 past the bungee plastic Not back fastner or anything

Rear sundeck wouldn't stay closed during trailering, and eventually snapped shocks, bent brackets ect.

The handles all around the boat started to fall out, turns out there were no lock washers, or lock nuts installed from factory, repaired myself (PAINFULLY)

Speedo stopped working, wasn't clogged, ended up being bad gauge (replaced with my money out of pocket)

Starter failed after the first season

Interior fell apart after one season, the brown vynil, and stiching fell apart exposing foam. After Fourwinns got out of bankruptcy and after calling them literally everyday with pictures, they admitted that the vinyl was bad and sent me replacements (that I had to pay to install)

That new interior lasted about 1.5 years and same thing happened to it, white vinyl was perfect, stitching and brown vinyl failed. I just recently just redid the entire interior, and turns out the vinyl they used wasn't even marine grade. (cross referenced the numbers on back with spradyling vinyl) Seats feel and look completely different than before.

plywood they used for seats rotted out badly, didn't appear to by marine grade playwood, and had no coatings or anything on it.

Breaker on dash kills power to boat and oyu have to wiggle it to make it work sometimes.

Throttle lever has been very tough to move since day one, and they claimed it to be normal. My 89 horizon throttle is slippery smooth

All the tires on the trailer tires detreaded themselves after 2 years and probably 14 trips to the lake (obviously four winns doesnt make them, but still junk)

Last edited:

crazyone

Cadet
I think I just purchased on the downhill spiral when they were trying to cut costs to stay in business....Reviews from previous years were good, and seems like most people enjoy them now.