Thru hull exhaust on a inline 4?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
This past weekend while going upriver to a popular island where every one rafts up and swims. I'm always at the end cause I'm usually the smallest. So I'm next to a guy with a 18ft bow rider with a mercruiser 3.0L I4 and I noticed he had thru hull exhaust with one pipe sticking out thru the middle. Every one leaves when the tide goes out and the larger boats start hitting bottom. So I leave and the guy next to me leaves. I slam on the throttle heading home and the guy is right next and he sounds like a high powered lawn mower engine. Hey I'm all for thru hull exhaust on boats but it's gotta sound good. I would put it on my 21ft boat but I don't have will power to take off the beautiful teak swim platform. Any one have or have seen thru hull exhuast on such a small engine? thoughts and opinions too?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
On boats with thru the prop hub exhaust, a thru hull exhaust provides no increase in power. It does provide an increase in noise and generally aggravates most of the boating community. A single pipe doesn't even provide an visual appeal......dumb idea, in my opinion.

roffey

Commander
I like a nice quiet motor for my car and my boat. The advantage I can see is you polute the air and not the water,LOL. The sound of an open exaust 4 banger just would not do it. So I agree.

Bondo

Staff member
On boats with thru the prop hub exhaust, a thru hull exhaust provides no increase in power. It does provide an increase in noise and generally aggravates most of the boating community. A single pipe doesn't even provide an visual appeal......dumb idea, in my opinion.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... I put home made thru-hulls on my 4.3l way back when I swapped out the ole 3.0l, 'n have regretted it Ever since,....

southkogs

Staff member
The sound I have in my head is like a mechanical whoopee cushion :D

roffey

Commander
around here we call the exhaust on the small 4 cylinder cars a fart pipe so your whoopee cushion fits right in.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I saw a Bayliner with the same set up about six months ago. You could hear him coming from a mile away with the sound bouncing off the canyon walls.

Gawd awful!

I also run a 3.0 (V-P) and wouldn't even consider doing that. The above prop exhaust on a V-P is bad enough. Love the drive, hate all the noise/vibration, etc..

oldjeep

Admiral
Funny when on this site I see people wanting through hull or captains command, and all I see on the ski boat sites is people wanting to install STE or FAE systems to quiet down the stock through hull ;)

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In the family, we have a 266 BR Crownline (7.4 MPI/B3) w/Captains Choice.

It's nice to have the "choice".

The Big V-8 sounds awesome on start up (dry exhaust) but soon becomes annoying. Flip the switch and QUIET! AAAAGH!

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 22 foot sea ray pachanga, thru hull exhaust. sounds awesome . ha ha and iam 76 (hard of hearing)

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i have a 22 foot sea ray pachanga, thru hull exhaust. sounds awesome . ha ha and iam 76 (hard of hearing)

Can you hear gunshots-ha ha.;) Just kidding-be considerate.

Your noise is just that to other boaters-NOISE.

jestor68

Commander
Those of you who think that thru hull exhausts combined with properly designed exhaust headers don't make any difference need to talk to the folks at Mercury Racing.

I agree that putting one a smaller motor is a waste of time; just noise with no action.

My 600 HP Donzy sounds great at 96 mph. The fact that it'd **** some of you off, just makes it better.

You guys know how to make my day. Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member
Those of you who think that thru hull exhausts combined with properly designed exhaust headers don't make any difference need to talk to the folks at Mercury Racing.

I agree that putting one a smaller motor is a waste of time; just noise with no action.

My 600 HP Donzy sounds great at 96 mph. The fact that it'd **** some of you off, just makes it better.

You guys know how to make my day. Thank you.

Ayuh,.... That's the part that's usually left out, due to the co$t$,...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My 600 HP Donzy sounds great at 96 mph. The fact that it'd **** some of you off, just makes it better

You would think a 'feller' who could drop the coin for a "600 hp" "96 mph" boat and was smart enough to know about "properly designed exhaust headers" would know how to spell Donzi.
The question had nothing to do with a high zoot speed boat but was VERY specifically about loud exhaust on a 3.0...

The part in red speaks volumes.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Every thru hull exhaust thread here ends up the same way.......some like them, many here hate them....
Some engines sound great with thru hull........... an inline 4 is NOT one of those