New Guy - looking for input on purchase

WetKnight

Cadet
Hi Folks!

I am looking for some input from experienced boaters. I am new to boating and have been reading up on it; my neighbours all own boats so I know that opinions are plentiful, but nevertheless...

I am looking for a bowrider and selection in general is limited where I am (Maritimes, Canada). I have a family of four (altogether) so we are looking for something that will comfortably move 8 (friends and us)... here is what I have so far - listed in order of preference:

2004 208 Si Monterey Bowrider - 200 hrs, 5L Merc - extended swimming platform and other options
2011 Stingray Bowrider 185LS - 3L Merc (unsure of hours) - has 3 years warranty remaining

2007 Seaswirl 175 Bowrider - about 120 hours - 3.0 Volva Penta
2005 Glaston 195 SX - 20 hours - Volvo Penta GL
2003 Campion 645 - 200 hours - 4.3 Merc

Thanks!

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not really clear on the specific boat choices you have posted up, but my opinion would be that even at 23 feet long, you will be packed in like sardines after you include any coolers or other items along with 8 people. It take a little bit more room than a 17-20 foot boat has, to accommodate all those people you suggest. I would say 4 people is a good # for boats under 20 feet. And yes you can fit more than 4 in a sub 20 foot boat, just thinking about being comfortable.Heck, have fun making the selection, welcome to boating.

WetKnight

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome :)

"Comfortably" moving 8 people does indeed require a larger boat, but really, the vast majority of times it'll be my wife, myself and my kids and their friends... so all those should do that pretty well...

Yes, I realize my choices aren't huge (the Campion is 23', the Monterey 20' and the other two are 17 and 19'). I suppose I should have explained what I am looking for a little better!

Should I look for something newer, or will the 2004 (provided it was properly maintained, and from the "new" price, I can't see someone neglecting it) last provided I look after it?

Normally, "newer" is better, but mechanically speaking, from my (little) experience, older engines last longer: fewer cheap parts than tend to be used these days.

All those are priced fairly close, so I'm not talking price as much as as dependability, quality of build, etc...

My favorite is the 2004: Comes with loads of features and seems a good size; 5L engine should give tons of power, love the extended swimming platform, bimini cover, wakeboard bars, etc.) LINK: http://preview.tinyurl.com/nqqaxlx

Then the 2011 - it has warranty but a 3L engine LINK: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ofj4srl

NOW: How important IS the engine? think: 8 people, 2 or 3 of which can be on a tube being pulled.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Properly maintained and current condition is the key. I wouldn't assume that a higher-price boat was maintained well just because of it's relatively higher new price.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
The Monty 208 is a fantastic boat, but would be tight with 8 people. That large of a crew needs something bigger.
Think 26ft. deckboat or pontoon boat.

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure the boat is rated for the maximum number of people you will want to carry. I would only try 8 on an 18 foot boat for a short, short trip and wouldn't even mess with it in a 17-footer. If you are carrying 8, even if infrequently, a layout that varies from the traditional bowrider platform might be preferred.

KYsean

Seaman Apprentice
24 ft. Pontoon with a 150 HP outboard will fit the bill for your requirements perfectly.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

If you like the '04, I'd go take a look at it. It looks like a nice boat. You may be a little tight with 8 on board, but as you say it'll work for the few times you do it that way. I've had 8 on board my 17' and it's cozy for sure.

I'm not sure about price, Canadian price tags seem higher than what I'm used to here in my area. So, it's hard for me to judge.

You'll want the bigger power plant. If you're gonna' run loaded up, you want all the ponies you can get behind ya'.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That Monterey sounds like the best fit. A 20 foot bowrider will usually be rated to carry 10 and 8 would be pretty comfortable especially if most are kids. The 5 liter V8 will outperform the 6's and the 4 banger won't do much as far as watersports go.

WetKnight

Cadet
Thanks for the input - yeah, I'm not one for a pantoon boat... I enjoy ripping around on the lake :D

Prices here are higher due to limited availability; but if I were to go south of the border, by the time I'd include the exchange and time/money spent on the travel, I might save a bit but not enough to make it worth while :)

I'm going to take a look at the Monterey - it was "want" at first sight!

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Last night I was looking a wake board boat in the parking lot of the hotel I'm staying at. It was about the same size as my boat (22-25') but had way less in the way of on board space. All the seating areas (other than the driver were very small). the open bow would only be good for 2 smaller people (i.e. kids). Granted my boat is different configuration than the boat I saw in the parking lot, but my point is that you should look at the boat you are considering closely before making a decision rather than just reading the specs. If you are buying a "family" boat, I would take as many of your family (who will be using the boat) as you can round up when going for a sea trial and spent a reasonable amount of time in the boat before making a decision. Even if you can't get them out for a sea trail, having them all sit in the boat on the trailer for awhile will give you a good idea how they will all fit. Then imagine them all being on the boat for a few hours at a time.

Also, try an figure out how many people will actually be using the boat regularly after the novelty wears off. You may find that the number of regular users might be less than you expect.

Last edited:

WetKnight

Cadet
Thanks for the replies.

A bit of an update - the Monterey, while my top choice, won't go up my driveway (fairly steep and curved), so I have to stick with something under 19'... Realistically, the typical users will be my family (4 of us; occasionally 6 / 8, so an 18' will work).

I found a 2007 Bayliner F-18 that comes with everything I want (ext. swim platform, wakeboard bar, etc), has 50 hours on a 4.3 Liter Mercruiser (nice in between for power (3.0 vs 5.0) and is in like new condition - price is good as well though I have to drive a ways to pick it up (I like roadtrips, so that's actually a bonus :D ) - thoughts on the F18?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
2007 Bayliner F-18 - Basically a Baliner 185 with a tower. You are not ever going to put 8 people in that boat, so if that is a desire keep looking.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
If 8 people showed up to take a sea test in my 19 footer, I would not allow this to occur. Safety first always. Check the tags on the suspect new boat for capacity ratings if you don't want to listen to most of us. 7 others are depending on you!

WetKnight

Cadet
It's rated for 8 people - and that would be occasionally - as I said earlier, the vast majority of time it would be 4 of us. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the F18 - given the low hours and options that I'd like to have (engine size, ext. swimming platform, wake bars, etc.) alongside its immaculate condition make it good deal.

Thanks all.

WetKnight

Cadet
Alright - I drove 2800 kms in total to pick the boat up - now the happy owner of a like-new Bayliner 185 F18. I am quite pleased as the boat is in absolutely great condition, inside and out; no rips/tears/gouges and the engine is just as clean. Had it out on the lake yesterday for the maiden voyage and it performed like a champ!

Hopefully I'll get another 6 weeks of usage before putting it away for the winter; I'm on vacation the last two weeks of August and hope to be spending at least half of that on the water :D