Pressurized potable water system

Ol' Man

Cadet
I have a 88 Bayliner Ceirra 2445 and Am wanting to put a water pump on the system and do away with the hand pumps. (One at the galley is bad and I'm replacing the head with electric) any reason why I should not do this? I understand the supply line to the head should not be pressurized I have searched the forums and can't find this topic so excuse me if I am opening an already covered subject. Thanks

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is no reason you can't do it. It is a matter of personal preference but I would urge you to consider a couple of things related on who will be using the system.

- Trapped air in the system can prevent the pump from shutting off which will run your battery down and possibly damage the pump, you need every guest to understand that if they don't hear the pump stuff off it is a problem. It is a good idea to leave the system powered off unless you need it and this takes some of the convenience away.
- A pressurized system reminds people of home where they don't worry about running out of water. Depending on the user you can go through water much faster
- A faucet left slightly cracked open will drain your tank.

On the upside a pressurized system makes sense if you have a hot water heater and shower. Personally I prefer a foot pump system because they move plenty of water, keep your hands free and keep everything simple.

Ol' Man

Cadet
Thanks. It's just my wife and I, I don't like a lot of people on board. Haha. Was thinking of a switch in the cabin to turn on when you needed water pressure

shrew

Lieutenant
The head intake should not be connected to the pressurized water system at all. Whether the head is manual pump flush or electric flush, it should be drawing rawater from throughhull pick protected with a seacock.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
on the boat below, all was stripped (tank and lines) and it had a hand pump. I did exactly what you are thinking - a pressure pump and a switch right by the sink. Last boat had pressure and no switch and found it on many times when it shouldn't be.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
side not - when I first replace on the big boat I went big thinking better (psi) but it would come on, then off, then on because it was designed for a BIG boat and we only had a 34'. Size smaller than you might want - can't remember now what I bought the second time but internet research helped me

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I have a switch by the head that operates the pump. Of course, we have strict rules about what goes in the toilet.

Ol' Man

Cadet
Thanks, "Shrew" !! That explains why I thought the pump at the head was bad. Never had a boat with a head in it (other than porta-poti) Haha maybe don't need that new toilet anyway. Haven't taken this boat out yet just been "Learning" it right now.