Rack and pinion steering - rack stripped teeth

Noobguy

Cadet
Hey all - first post, so apologies if I do or say anything silly.

I have a 78 renkin bowrider 995 (that was difficult to find out, actually). Anyway, we got the boat for an absolute steal (just over $1000), which I only agreed to after hearing the engine run. It's a a Mercruiser MCM 120, so it's not speedy, but it's pretty peppy.

So far, I've had to replace the starter solenoid and ignition switch, and rewire some of the dash for reliable starting, but we're getting pretty quick response and the kids love the tube.

The only issue I have left that's not cosmetic (wife is doing upholstery herself because she's nuts) is steering. When turning left, we're smooth as butter, but turning back to straight we get a popping noise and no response in the helm. Right turns are smooth as butter, so I've diagnosed a bad rack in the rack and pinion steering.

My question is this: can I replace only the rack somehow? I know they say to replace the entire system, but the cable is in great shape. What is re-usable, and how do I find the right replacement system? My boat is tough to find info on, though I already pulled down the MCM 120 manual.

I've tried to do as much research as I can, so I hope I'm not an idiot. Thanks!

Ol' Man

Cadet
Sounds like the rack is loose at the helm. There are 4 bolts that attach the rack to the helm. Think I would check that first. If you think teeth are stripped in either part you should replace the whole system (helm and cable). The part # you will need is on the cable just a few inches out from the rack. I've seen a quote on here a lot that states "a little grease is better than no grease". Might not be a bad idea to grease both while you are in there anyway.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard - both of you, actually.

If you've got stripped teeth, then replace your rack and cable. Generally you can get a new rack and cable (they are typically one unit) for about $150 or so.

If you're not 100% sure you've got stripped teeth in the rack, you may want to unhook the steering from the drive and make sure the drive moves freely. I'm not sure how to do that on a Mercruiser, but it would tell you that the issue isn't on the drive end.