Please help a new guy?

DomG

Cadet
It has been a slow go. FInally closed this past Wednesday. Credit union still needs to get release ofl ien letter from seller's bank, then I can switch the title and get plates. Doubt we'll see any lake time this season, but I didn't plan on that anyway. Still, if we get an Indian summer in October, I can always launch it and get a shakedown cruise in. And maybe that will be better anyway to launch it when it is not busy. Get the family acclimated to this.

Last edited:

DomG

Cadet
Annnnnd its finally home. Closed on 9/17. Got it in my driveway on 10/18. That took too long!

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get that thing winterized if it isn't already! Time is running out here in SE Michigan.

Just to go back to your earlier concerns about the trailer, do yourself a favor and invest in two brand new tires, do the research on the size and get the best one you can (usually price and quality go together in a tire...up to a point). Depending on the style of hub, grease the EZ lube some more or take apart and repack the non-EZ style. If you drive around Michigan on a weekend you will eventually see a mounting total of people in the low hundreds off to the side with their boat trailer disabled because they didn't do any maintenance on their trailer. Having a couple of spare wheel and tire asm (fully inflated), a functional jack, and the lugs not rusted solid (use grease or anti-seize paste) will make any mishap (even a new tire can get punctured by some strange metallic road debris) go smoother.

I personally like preparation, I'd rather do hours and hours of work at home with the shop a 15 foot walk away and all the right tools at beckoned call rather than trying to figure out what to do or who to call in some remote area a long way from home with considerably fewer resources and usually less than optimum daylight. I'd rather fully research and buy and stock some spares than relying someone else to source something that "should work" in the local area.

Last edited:

DomG

Cadet
Get that thing winterized if it isn't already! ...
Just to go back to your earlier concerns about the trailer, do yourself a favor and invest in two brand new tires, ....

Thanks, Saline :) I'm with you on all of that!

I asked the previous owner, since it was taking so long for the banks to do their part, if I should come by and winterize it. He just went ahead and winterized it for me. He also sent me a spreadsheet that detailed the winterizing procedure and listed all of the OEM fluids in addition to specs like plug gaps 'n stuff. Boat also came with an unused spare prop.

The boat inspection listed one tire on the axle and the spare as both being rotted. I agree. They all need replacing. When I used to snowmobile, I always carried complete spare hubs and actually did need to use one in spite of properly packing the bearings each season. Anything can happen :) I also had travel trailers, so, with all my Michigan adventures, I know what you are saying about the roadside disasters on the shoulder. I don't want to be one ;)

My opinion of the trailer has not changed much. I don't like it. I still want a tandem, but I can give myself peace of mind on this one of I take care of things well. An ounce of prevention...

Last edited:

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I own a 2005 Crownline 202BR with the 5.0 that I bought new in 2004. It came on a single axle Prestige trailer that has no brakes. Although I have had only one tire issue when trailering, I too wish I had a tandem trailer with brakes. It's hard to justify buying a new trailer, but I thought about it several times. I'm not sure if the single axle or the lack of trailer brakes bothers me the most. In the end everything worked out and we bought a house at the lake that we can leave the boat at and I trailer it very little now.
I hope everything works out for you too, and you begin to trust your trailer and can enjoy your boat as much as we have ours, or you can always buy a lakehouse:)

DomG

Cadet
A lakehouse... now there is something I hadn't thought of....

Honey! I know how we can solve that trailer issue...