Please help a new guy?

oldjeep

Admiral
Okay, I did not explain myself clearly. I agree that a trailer that doesn't track straight has an issue. I meant overall stability passing trucks and other things that affect handling. It is clear you disagree with me, and that is all good. However, my mindset is rooted in my own experience and comfort level. I don't want to tow a 20 foot, 3500 lb boat on a single axle. I know I can. I know it is rated for it. I prefer not to do it. That boat is at the threshold for the single and I prefer a little overkill. The Single is rated for less weight than the tandem.

I do appreciate your input. It's all good stuff ;)

Well, good luck to you. The issue you may have is that singles are very common on 20ft boats, even 90K wakeboard boats. If you find something you really like, consider figuring out a way to swap trailers.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
IMO, that boat is a great deal, if you put a new trailer under it you still would be at a good price (although I wouldn't worry about it, just maintain bearings an keep a spare brakw assembly in the truck for emergencies.).

DomG

Cadet
That boat is not an option anymore. We had been in contact via email. When I sent him my drawback letter, he never responded. I'm thinking he's kinda mad at me.

Just for an interesting side note, I did have a Regal dealer tell me yesterday (and I can't find wording that verifies this, so maybe not true) that it is illegal in Michigan to put a 20 foot boat on a single axle trailer.

We've been looking again and are finding good prospects. I'm probably going to go newer than 2001. Many options around here :)

oldjeep

Admiral
that it is illegal in Michigan to put a 20 foot boat on a single axle trailer.

We've been looking again and are finding good prospects. I'm probably going to go newer than 2001. Many options around here :)

That would be oddly specific, but who knows there are a lot of crazy laws on the books. Should be more an more options as we draw closer to winter. Folks start selling rather than storing so you might get a good deal.

DomG

Cadet
That would be oddly specific...

I agree. Hard to believe that is really a law, but if someone knew, I figured someone here would.

I am finding out that, as one who has been "around" boats for many years and knows "a lot about them", buying one has me realizing how much I do NOT know LOL

jbcurt00

Staff member
Michigan has a registration price break for trailers up to 2499lbs (empty) the fee is $75. It jumps to $200 for 2500lb trailers.

I suspect the single axle vs double axle comment had less to do w/ the actual boat and it's length, but more accurately was related to how much a 20ft boat and it's trailer weigh. The iboats spec page lists a 2001 Crownline 202BR as 3100lbs dry.

So on a substantial enough trailer, fully loaded, fueled and rigged, the boat and trailer would easily be well over 4000lbs. And I'd bet THAT's really what lead the dealer to say it's illegal on a single axle.

Some states also have trailer brakes required when you get to a certain weight rig. In WV, any towed trailer must have brakes if the combined weight of trailer & load is above 3000lbs:
Brakes On Trailers:​
Every semi-trailer, trailer or separate vehicle attached by a draw
bar, chain or coupling to a towing vehicle must be equipped
with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing
vehicle when the gross weight including the load exceeds
3,000 pounds.​

From the WV website ^^^

At random, I picked another 20ft 2001 boat, and it's about the same dry weight as the 202BR

thumpar

Admiral
If you want a Crownline google "crowniehq". That is the Crownie Headquarters forum. There is a for sale section there. I have the same username on that forum as this. In my area there are not many but in Michigan they are more common.

My 202 is 3100 dry but that is a average since there are many engine packages and drive options. The 4.3l with Alpha is going to weight alot less than the 7.4l with Bravo III on the back. Add 250lbs of fuel, other fluids and equipment and I would guess I am towing about 4500lbs with the trailer.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Michigan has a registration price break for trailers up to 2499lbs (empty) the fee is $75. It jumps to $200 for 2500lb trailers.

I suspect the single axle vs double axle comment had less to do w/ the actual boat and it's length, but more accurately was related to how much a 20ft boat and it's trailer weigh. The iboats spec page lists a 2001 Crownline 202BR as 3100lbs dry.

So on a substantial enough trailer, fully loaded, fueled and rigged, the boat and trailer would easily be well over 4000lbs. And I'd bet THAT's really what lead the dealer to say it's illegal on a single axle.

Some states also have trailer brakes required when you get to a certain weight rig. In WV, any towed trailer must have brakes if the combined weight of trailer & load is above 3000lbs:
Brakes On Trailers:​
Every semi-trailer, trailer or separate vehicle attached by a draw
bar, chain or coupling to a towing vehicle must be equipped
with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing
vehicle when the gross weight including the load exceeds
3,000 pounds.​

From the WV website ^^^

At random, I picked another 20ft 2001 boat, and it's about the same dry weight as the 202BR

Meh, if someone would trade me a single for my tandem, I would be all over it. When you order new the price difference is $500 on my boat, but the tandem is a huge pain in the rear for a garage boat. Problem is that few people who bought a single for a VTX would ever consider trading it, even though it is around a 4500lb boat ;) My FIL has had a single under his response for 9 years with no problem.

DomG

Cadet
Because I know you are all awake at night wondering what this new guy ended up with...

I looked. I looked some more. And I looked some more. The more I looked, the more I felt I should have went through with the original boat discussed here. I finally swallowed my pride and contacted the guy again and he agreed to honor our original agreement. We will be going for a test ride this week.

I found that the 5.0 FI was hard to come by. Also, every time I found a used Crownline that I liked, it was thousands more than this one and almost always had the 5.0 carbed engine.

I have a question about moisture meters. This boat has been trailered its entire life (2001). It has seen very little usage this season. Is it safe to assume that even a "good" reading is not a guarantee for this boat that, essentially, is out of the water drying out all summer? I do plan to pay for an inspection.

roffey

Commander
Owning a boat for the first time is great. Once you get it out on the water it all makes it worthwhile. For what it’s worth, I have a 3600 lb 20 foot BR. I bought this boat brand new and the trailer is matched to the boat and is a single.

Hope all works out for you and you can enjoy the remainder of the season.

DomG

Cadet
Thank you, Roffey. I know I sound like a flip-flopping, indecisive rookie, but I am looking forward to what you just said. Getitng it in, learning, having some fun, then spend the winter in the garage bringing it new life. I have a good friend who is a very experienced used boat owner coming with me tonight to look at it.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
No Title

Sorry Dom, I can't resist it. This is my new toy, brand new 2014 Stingray. Only two weeks old, 57 mph on the GPS.

roffey

Commander
No Title

hmm did not load the pic.

Attachments

• photo207409.jpg
    photo207409.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
On the moisture reading, good is good.... For the most part you are checking encapsulated wood such as stringers and transom.... those DON'T dry out..... store it for several years and it will still be wet

roffey

Commander
Sorry I posted some incorrect information, my boat is....

LOA: 19'9"
Beam: 7'10"
Dry Weight: 2,662 lb.

with a single axle trailer

DomG

Cadet
I lime that Stingray, Roffey :) Looked at this Crownie again today with a buddy. He crawled all over and under it. Gave me a thumbs up on the deal. The one thing I dislike the most is the carpeting. It is not snap-in. It is quite filthy/stained and looks like it is no easy chore to remove/replace. Why would any company make a boat with such a permanent carpet design?

roffey

Commander
My last boat had permanent, glued in carpeting. I shampooed and then got the garden hose and washed it all into the bilge then used my shop vac. It work well and that you can leave the top down and let mother nature dry things up.

we will be waiting for pics and reports on the madden splash, have fun.

DomG

Cadet
Now this is getting kinda funny... I backed out of the sale once. When I looked into it again, I was surprised to see he still had it. I asked how it didn't sell and he said that, after I backed out, he did not put it back up for sale. Said he was kind of relieved because he was having 2nd thoughts about selling it. Said he just recently put it back up. While out there yesterday, he mentioned that he is torn. He just doesn't use it hardly at all anymore, but hates the thought of not having it. He then said that, pending word from an inspection, if I decide not to buy it, he's going to just keep it.

I would not be surprised at all if he backs out this time.

DomG

Cadet
Okay, still on LOL! It is being dropped off at the marina for inspection. They will go through the electrical system, give it a lake test and compression test and all that good stuff.