Please help a new guy?

DomG

Cadet
Thanks. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section or way to go about this. I hope you will steer me in the right direction. This is a large forum :)
I have read the used purchase thread. It is a great resource! I am considering the purchase of a used boat. I am not new to boats, but never owned one. I have a few questions...

2001 Crownline 202BR with fuel injected 5.0 Mercruiser/Alpha outdrive
290 hours
Owner is a fellow employee. He reports:
Shrunk wrapped for each winter
Oil changed each season
Engine fogged for storage
Cooling system winterized and flushed every season
Used only on freshwater, inland Michigan lakes

My observations:
Climbed under it from bow to Stern. Hull has no signs of trauma/damage/repair. Just normal dullness on "V" and solid throughout all my knocking/tapping. Hull looked better than I expected. Don't think the boat ever hit anything with the hull.
Floor is hard everywhere and the seat covers are original, but very smooth and no tears. Better than expected
Skeg had some damage and was covered with a sharkfin. Front of ourdrive has zero signs of damage. Don't believe it ever hit anything.
Engine started right away and sounds very healthy. I heard no ticking/knocking

The boat showed overall normal wear like decals peeling where they were rubbed, paint not as shiny sun baked surfaces, but very nice everywhere else. Again, the rub rail and outside show zero signs of hard hits and/or repairs.

Radio did not power on this season and the trim gauge is kinda sticky (not "too" concerning to me).

Single axle trailer is in great condition. Tires removed and stored indoors each winter. Bearings packed each season.

He did maintenance himself, so it is hard to verify, but seems true. We are GM employees and he is very knowledgeable. He is 2nd owner at 8 years ownership.

The drawbacks I saw could be remedied with a bucket of soapy water. It is quite dirty, but he has not used it much lately.

We will go for a ride this week. I don't see how I can do a compression test without a lot of work/transport.

Can anyone help me think of how I should be thinking about all this? Questions to ask? Things to observe on the ride? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks! I hope to be a longtime member and contributor here :)

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and where are you at? I've got a friend with a 2000 Crownline for sale for $8500 and he's pretty picky with his boats.

DomG

Cadet
Was $11,900 OBO. We talked and he came down to $11,200. According to NADA (which I use only as a general guide for any value), it seems fair. I don't know why the hours aren't taken into consideration, but I come up with the following.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome, 'new guy' . . . You may want to hire a marine surveyor to check the boat out. It would be hard for us to say what is right and wrong with the boat without seeing it first hand. I always find it useful to be present with the surveyor when they are doing their inspection as they will typically point things out and you will gain knowledge about the boat in the process. If you take it for a run in the water, then you should be able to do a compression test right afterwards.

DomG

Cadet
Thanks. Appreciate it. Been talking to a few close friends in the know. Nothing is guaranteed, but so far, it sounds like a solid deal. I'll be around :)

Check check check the rear for any sign of leaking, period.

And for sure water test it if he's offering.

Repairing the bellows in back is quite pricey (labor wise), and an otherwise sold-appearing boat can cost you an extra $1,000. Alphas apparently have a tendency to leak, especially when stored in our cold winters with the outdrive up.

thumpar

Admiral
I have the 1996 version of that boat just a different engine package. They are built solid but check under the sundeck at the back of the boat for any softness in the floor. While you are back there check the seams on the vinyl. I have never seen a 202 on a single axle trailer. You may want to question why it is not a tandem.

DomG

Cadet
Again, thank you for the input. It is what I was looking for. For the record, allow me to respond to the latest two postings here:

Apha Bellows: A boat owning buddy of mine was showing me the bellow kits for the Alpha and said that, if I buy this one, to ask if and when they were ever changed. If they need it, he and I will do it ourselves. He said he's always done that himself on his boats. I have removed outdrives on boats with my dad when I was younger, so I know enough to be dangerous ;) If there are no leaks, I may run the rest of this short season and replace them next spring.

Rear floor: I will double check the floor. I guess I should just get into the engine bay and step my 220 lbs into the corners.

Trailer: I called Crownline who had me call Heritage (the manf of the trailer). A nice rep spoke with me about my concerns. Those boats could come on a "light tandem" or "heavy single". She said that, on the heavy single, the hubs should be 6-lugs with a 15 inch, D load range tire. The weight rating of each offered trailer for this boat is a difference of 100 lbs. According to the rep, it is the correct trailer and simply ordered that way new for whatever reasons the dealer ordered it.
Looking at the trailer, is IS a 6-lug and DOES have a healthy pile of leaf springs. The tires are correct as well. Although I prefer a tandem for tracking, weight distribution, and some extra help in case of a blowout, I'm less concerned about the single axle after talking to Heritage. I will probably throw new tires on it next spring. Especially for trailers, I buy new tires every 4-5 years regardless of how good they look. The trailer does have the same paint color/graphics/boat model number on the trailer itself. All looks correct.

Again, thanks for the input. I have had campers, snowmobiles, and have trailered many things. I am also no stranger to boats, but have never owned one myself.

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If this guy truly shrink wraps his boat every winter and removes his trailer tire for storage, and will take you for a water test, you are certainly starting on the positive side of the scale. Good luck!!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That boat sounds pretty nice. I wouldn't worry a bout a single axle trailer for that boat. My 20 foot bowrider came with a "heavy single" rated for 5,000 lbs and has worked fine for the last 7 years. The trailer should have a load rating plate on it so you can check to make sure its not overloaded, but it sounds right.

DomG

Cadet
Well, I backed out of the sale. I feel pretty crappy about doing that to the guy.

My intended use for the boat was to tow it to my mom's lake 160 miles away a few times per month. The more I thought of it, the more I felt that, for a 320+ mile round-trip on a regular basis, I don't want to do that without a tandem axle trailer.

I really wondered if I should just get the package anyway and get a different trailer or add an axle. They end up non-cost effective solutions as far as what I saw. Also, quite frankly, I didn't want to go through all that.

If I were only towing locally, I would have gone through with this. I told the guy to cash my deposit, but I still feel bad about the effort he went through to go over the boat and take it off the market for a few days.

I am sure I will be back shortly asking more questions. Thank you for the help!

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Seems like an odd reason to back out on a sale. As a guy who towed thousands of miles on a single axle trailer - bring a spare. Only had one tire failure and it was a non event - tire shredded , nothing dramatic happened. Pulled over and changed it and continued on my way. Exact same process you would go through with a tandem

Last edited:

DomG

Cadet
Odd to you and that is completely valid, but it makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to be doing this on a regualr basis with my family in the tow vehicle. With the boat and trailer approaching/possibly exceeding 4000 lbs, I feel better with a tandlem trailer. I've towed everything from snowmobile trailers both single and tandem, a single axle pop-up camper and a tandem axle 30 foot travel trailer. I realize I am a newbie at boat ownership, but I am no stranger to towing many different things. I just won't tow 4000 lbs on a single axle. Tandems track straighter and are much safer in the event of a blowout, which can happen at any time even with new tires. Yes, single axle's don't always cause issues and, most times, nothing bad happens. But the advantages of a tandem, to "me" are desired.

Believe me, I have had second thoughts. I very well may have passed on a deal I should have taken, but I want what I want. There are more boats out there.. I think... I must admit, I really do like the 202 BR and all it offers.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Tandems track straighter.

OK, but one question - tandems track straighter? Huh?

I've had a lot of trailers, singles and tandems and if a trailer is not tracking straight then there is something wrong with it.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
One advantage of a tandem is also 4 brakes instead of 2 of a single. You could always just find a tandem trailer for it. I saw one for sale a few days ago on CL that would fit a 202 for $800. The build quality and all the extra little touches they put in the Crownlines is very nice. The 8'6" beam makes for a very nice ride and more room on the boat.

DomG

Cadet
OK, but one question - tandems track straighter? Huh?

I've had a lot of trailers, singles and tandems and if a trailer is not tracking straight then there is something wrong with it.

Okay, I did not explain myself clearly. I agree that a trailer that doesn't track straight has an issue. I meant overall stability passing trucks and other things that affect handling. It is clear you disagree with me, and that is all good. However, my mindset is rooted in my own experience and comfort level. I don't want to tow a 20 foot, 3500 lb boat on a single axle. I know I can. I know it is rated for it. I prefer not to do it. That boat is at the threshold for the single and I prefer a little overkill. The Single is rated for less weight than the tandem.

I do appreciate your input. It's all good stuff ;)

DomG

Cadet
One advantage of a tandem is also 4 brakes instead of 2 of a single. You could always just find a tandem trailer for it. I saw one for sale a few days ago on CL that would fit a 202 for $800. The build quality and all the extra little touches they put in the Crownlines is very nice. The 8'6" beam makes for a very nice ride and more room on the boat.

I'm sold on the Crownline brand. Honestly, as much as I felt the boat was worth it, I am now opening up my options to go newer. I've been bitten...