Bait well fills at high speed?

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 2001 fishmaster with a bait well in the back. At high speeds it fills and won't stop. It fills through the drain hole.. When I slow down the water exits??? Besides just plug the holes what the heck is going on?

UncleWillie

Captain
If a hull-thru below the waterline is pointing forward; That would cause water to flow into the hose at speed.

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If a hull-thru below the waterline is pointing forward; That would cause water to flow into the hose at speed.
Could you elaborate about pointing forward? It is below the water line almost right next to my plug hole.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Scoop pickups do that. Close the seacock when not in use.

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was my understanding that seacock valves are on the pick up line and not the drain hole? It's filling through drain hole???? Also not even sure I got a shut off

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I had that problem on a side mounted fish box. It only had one hole and it was mounted low in the side of the hull where water pressure forced water into it while underway. I just used a plug, just like the boat bilge drain plug (same sized hole) and plugged it when I was underway. A PIA but that's the way it was.

Mark