Value of '92 Northwood 18 1/2 ft with 120 Force

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I was hoping you guys could give a rough idea of what this boat is worth. It's a '92 Northwood aluminum which I think was made by Smokercraft. I'm hoping to see it in Person on Saturday. The outside looks like new, the floor was redone. He told me it was done with PT plywood which I know would have to be redone (I'll check on that in person) but when he said that on the phone it seemed more like that's what he thought I wanted to hear. The transom is supposed to be solid. He's got a '92 Force 120 on back that he says has about 50 hours on it and from the pics he sent I don't doubt that. It also has a manual jack plate and the full camper top thing. He's asking $3K. My plan would be to swap out the Force and either sell it or put it on my current boat to sell. NADA puts the Force at about $420 but has no listing for the boat. It also comes with the trailer.

Any thoughts on what it's worth? There's an identical boat for sale a couple hours away and they're asking $6K which seems way out in left field.

Thanks!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
OK, maybe the pic isn't working. It's a dual console aluminum boat with a walk through windshield and one livewell.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its worth what someone in the sellers market area will pay. Since I have no idea where that is, I can't say if I think its worth a comparable $6K or $1K. Esp w/out pix. IMO, NADA over valued the Force.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Northwood Boats

Smokercraft made, as are Starcraft & Sylvan, but it sounds like many think a Northwood is a step down from their other lines. Value line boat, w/ a 'value' line motor at the time, IMO.

Why is the passenger seat missing but the base block is still on the deck?

In Minneapolis, you should be able to find a better boat for similar money based on thelittle bit I know about that market.

If YOU can put your hands on it & get a sea trial, and YOU think it's worth $3K, make him an offer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Northwoods bought hulls from a number of different companies over the years.
Then in about 1996, Starcraft bought Northwood from Brunswick.

This hull does not look like a Starcraft/Smokercraft/Sylvan made hull.

It looks like a welded Brunswick hull that they used on their Spectrum line from 1994 through 1996 ?
I had a 1995 17'.

If this is indeed the Brunswick hull, hull id starting with "BFF", it is ok, not great.
Not built like a Lund or Alumacraft.
One of the reasons I sold mine, is I didn't like the way the hull skin was getting deformed from hitting the waves.
The skin is thin, and the internal supports were all visible after hitting the waves for 4 years.

I also wasn't thrilled about the way the hull handled.
Mine was stern heavy and bow light under all conditions. And the welded hull, with no external strakes or ribs, just kind of slid around instead of carving a nice turn. Not terrible, but not what I was used to.

Anyway, you would be surprised what you can get for that Force if it is in good running condition.
I recently saw a 1994 90 hp sell for $1495. Seriously.

There seems to be a real shortage of good running mid range outboards around here, without spending $4000+.

Take a look at this auction that ended this week. wow !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Force-b...72b4bb&vxp=mtr

1991 and 1992 were full of changes on those force engines, particularly the ignitions.
I would prefer it had the Mercury thunderbolt switchbox system. While others like the old blue cd module system. But since you will be selling it, it really doesn't matter.

I wonder why the jack plate? Seems odd for that hull.

Anyway, not a bad boat, and you should be able to get some $ out of the motor.
Looks like a good trailer.

$3000 wouldn't be a bad price if it is turn key, and you don't have to rip the floor out..

Get a sea trial and throw $2500 on the table and see what he says.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Hull shape, transom shape, corner caps, eye placement, splash well, etc, all look like mine.

0000 2222.jpg

Attachments

• 0000 2222.jpg
    0000 2222.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0

sublauxation

Lieutenant
THanks Roscoe. I had fears of that hull skin with no bends in it and lack of strakes as well as well but didn't know enough to know if it's an issue. This boat is intended to be an upgrade from my 1980 Sylvan Rodmaster. There's nothing really wrong with the Sylvan but this one is 10" wider which with 5 people in the boat would be nice. My plan would be to swap my 90 ETEC onto this and put the Force on my Sylvan and sell it off.

Bow light/stern heavy with a 90HP now has me a little scared. Do you think the ETEC would be able to push this boat? It does fine on the Sylvan, it planes nice and does 43mph.

Is it easy to see if the ignition is the Merc? Where would it be located?

Thanks for the Hull ID info, do you know where they put them. Was yours the Brunswkick hull? Would the Smokercraft/Starcraft hull be better?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No problem.

The hull id is on the transom, starboard side, top corner.

Cd module ignition will consist of 2 blue cd modules, medium blue, like the "post reply" button on this page.
The Merc thunderbolt switchbox is black, 3" x 5".
Ignition is in plain view on side of crankcase after lifting off the top cowl.

Is your Rodmaster a 16' model, or an 18' ?

I'm impressed that you are getting 43 out of your etec.
I have a Starcraft Mariner 18 center console, same hull as yours, only getting 40 out of my 115 Merc, but still need to adjust engine mounting height and get a new prop ( winter projects as summer is too short ).
Your 90 will plane it, if propped right, but I doubt you will get 40 mph, maybe 35.

The newer models are definitely wider. Wish I had a wider boat too.
With 5 people, maybe keep your eye open for a 21' Rod Master, Super Sport, or Mariner

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

sublauxation

Lieutenant
@ Roscoe, It's an 18, I was surprised at 43 too, that's what my GPS said for whatever that's worth (My speedo said somewhere around 55! :rolleyes:.) That's with just me on flat water, little else in the boat and trimmed up just shy of breaking out of the water. I expected mid to upper 30's. I passed on a 21 foot empty Sylvan hull last fall and I'm kicking myself but my 90 would have problems pushing that and I cant bring myself to buy a bigger outboard because I'll never get out of mine what it's really worth (to me) with the low hours.

I didn't buy it, He relisted it and actually raised the price on the new listing to $3999, but the sign in his front yard still says $3K. That confuses me.

Turns out the jack plate is there because it's a long shaft Force. It does appear to have the Merc ignition. He had very little notice that I was coming but he had it running on muffs when I showed up. I thought it smelled like starting fluid, my dad thought it was gas, but regardless the fluid was pooled up under the cowling so he definitely sprayed something into it, and lots of it. That may be because the battery was tired and he needed some help getting it started. Either way I'm concerned. It looked clean under the hood (except all gas lines were cracking) but maybe all the gas/ether is acting like a degreaser:facepalm:?

It's the Brunswick hull and that part was in decent shape. The rest was like a Taco Bell advertisement, what you see in the picture is not what you get in person. Everything wood needs replacement except the transom. He said when they put the floor in they didn't touch the existing foam. The wood floor under the ski locker was soaked and when I stepped on it it was spongy and more water squished up which I take to mean the foam is saturated.

I don't think it's worth $3K. I'm going to wait a month and if he still has it we'll see. It's a nice sized boat. Everything I've seen up to about 6K is one season away from the wood crumbling. I have most of the pieces bought and paid for to redo my Sylvan so maybe I'll just keep her.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a $1200 project boat at best, and then you'll be putting 2 grand into it.

Don't underestimate what your 90 will do on a 21'er.
They are only 100-300 pounds more than the 18', depending on the year and model.

Buy a new prop with a little less pitch, and she can handle it.

I to had a chance at a 21', but the chances of finding a decent trailer for it, without spending an additional 2 grand, made me walk away.

Good luck.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a $1200 project boat at best, and then you'll be putting 2 grand into it.

Don't underestimate what your 90 will do on a 21'er.
They are only 100-300 pounds more than the 18', depending on the year and model.

Buy a new prop with a little less pitch, and she can handle it.

I to had a chance at a 21', but the chances of finding a decent trailer for it, without spending an additional 2 grand, made me walk away.

Good luck.