Fuel Gauge Problems

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When i'm out on the water the fuel gauge reads full but then when the boat is off is shows between a half and 3/4...is it broken or what?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
that's a quite common problem with shallow tanks and the typical float sensors. The attitude of the boat is different between running on plane and sitting in the water. When you are on plane the bow is up and the fuel will "flow" to the rear of the tank where the senders usually are installed. There's no possibility to change that short of installing a fuel flow gauge which will show you how much you consumed (if you don't forget to reset it after filling her up).

Last edited:

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
totally forgot about that...i forgot to mention though it takes a while to show a reading that isn't full..for instance i'll be out on the water and it says full the whole time then i dock for an hour or so and it'll still say full. then by the end of the day it shows a reading.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I have same sort of problem and am getting ready to pull the gage cluster to test all wires. My tach is also pegged on 1k so I hope to find something obvious.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
totally forgot about that...i forgot to mention though it takes a while to show a reading that isn't full..for instance i'll be out on the water and it says full the whole time then i dock for an hour or so and it'll still say full. then by the end of the day it shows a reading.

That means that the float isn't adjusted correctly (or can't be because of a very shallow tank). There are better senders on the market which use a float ring around the sender tube. These are a bit better but can't change the "nose up" issue either. Look at the other style at wemausa.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what a pain in the arse....how do you even get to the tank? the fuel cap is on the drivers side

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
what boat??? My fuel fill is also in a weird spot but the sender is easy to reach and change (if needed).

thumpar

Admiral
That is pretty normal. I Just make sure I fill up the tank. Once it starts to sway on the gauge I know I am around 1/2 tank.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Let me ask this. Say one wanted to take a 2 gal gas can along for precautions. 1). Would you recommend this for safety reasons and 2) where to safely store it on something like a bowrider. Obviously I wouldn't want this can any where near the engine compartment, but what about under one of the front cushions?

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let me ask this. Say one wanted to take a 2 gal gas can along for precautions. 1). Would you recommend this for safety reasons and 2) where to safely store it on something like a bowrider. Obviously I wouldn't want this can any where near the engine compartment, but what about under one of the front cushions?

Fuel vapors are heavier than air so it will work it's way to the bilge no matter where you put it. The safest route would be on a swim platform.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Good point. My idea seems like a bad one, but I thiught I'd ask. There's really no substitute for getting to know the boats fuel consumption better. The log will serve its purpose.