In need of an opinion.

jmxan

Cadet
Hello all, I'm new here to the forum as well as to boating.
I'm currently in the process of picking up a 12' aluminum boat.
Being that I am new to all of this I have a couple of questions
to ask you all.

At the moment I'm looking at a boat that I can not find out anything
about online. Its a 12 foot v 'nichols' aluminum boat the guy says its water ready.
The seller
claimed it was a '71. It actually says 'nichols' on the rear sides of the
boat.

Also, there's a small dent on the front right side of the boat as can be
seen in the attached picture.

Snapchat-20140724033545.jpg

My concern with this dent, is how it's
dented on/over the rivets on the side of the boat. Being that it's
dented in such a manner, is this the kind of dent that's going to
cause me issues after continued use? Basically I'm asking
if such a dent would prevent you from buying this boat.

It also comes with a 6hp suzuki 4 stroke outboard motor. I did a little
research and it appears to be a 2005. Has anyone ever had
any past experience with small suzuki outboards?

I know I've asked a lot here, but if anyone has any input it'll be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Snapchat-20140724033545.jpg
    Snapchat-20140724033545.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
fetch

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i'm not the tin expert here, but I don't think it should cause much concern.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome. As long as none of the rivets are loose your fine. If the rivets are loose you need to replace them or seal them so they don't leak.

jmxan

Cadet
Welcome. As long as none of the rivets are loose your fine. If the rivets are loose you need to replace them or seal them so they don't leak.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know yet if they leak, but so long as I now know replacing/sealing the rivet's is a viable option I'm starting to gain some confidence.

jmxan

Cadet

You wouldn't happen to know anything about the boat would you? Like i said in the orignal post the owner said it's a '71 and it said 'nichols' on the rear of each side.
I'm confused about this, the only 'nichols' I've been able to find has been a company that makes yachts.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard jmxan.

Rowboat style fishing hulls (and bow rider outboard hulls) were a dime a dozen in the late 50's - early 70's. EVERYBODY made 'em. Even if you could figure out the model and track down the manufacturer, you'd have very little more information in front of you than a model and manufacture's name. Later on in the 70's HIN numbers were required on boats, but this one would be too old for that. It's possible there is a capacity plate (typically on the transom inside) that would give you a model and a serial number. Still it'll tell you little to nothing about the hull itself.

Let condition and your "liking" the boat be the driver (condition being the most important).

What's the price on the boat? IMHO, those types of rigs should be easy to come by if you don't feel comfortable with the dent.

jmxan

Cadet
Welcome aboard jmxan.

Rowboat style fishing hulls (and bow rider outboard hulls) were a dime a dozen in the late 50's - early 70's. EVERYBODY made 'em. Even if you could figure out the model and track down the manufacturer, you'd have very little more information in front of you than a model and manufacture's name.......

What's the price on the boat? IMHO, those types of rigs should be easy to come by if you don't feel comfortable with the dent.

Thanks for the reply! He's only asking 1,250. The price includes an 05 (I think) suzuki 6hp outboard 4 stroke motor, trolling motor,
depth finder, and a trailer. The fact that it includes all of the stuff I'll pick up for myself anyways is a huge selling point for me.
But, the primary reason I came seeking an opinion of others is just because of that dent, among other questions as well.
As of now I'm starting to be less concerned with it, the support of other members (yourself included) that've replied has definitely helped reassure me about the dent.

southkogs

Staff member
I'd probably not be so concerned about it being seaworthy, but I'd be curious how it effects the boats handling. It might be far enough out that it wouldn't at all, but I'd wanna' run it anyway. $1,250 would be a high price for a '71 with a dent in it in my area. Though the motor is newer, and that is worth considering - and again, if you like the boat and "stuff" that's a consideration too.

A 1970's(ish) 14' tin boat with a working 9HP(ish) in my area (on a trailer) would sell $300 - $500 lower in my neck of the woods.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Get on the water! That dent will not hurt anything.......... it was rammed by a US Navy Submarine :D Wouldn't that go right on along with a great fish story!! ;)

jmxan

Cadet
Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize it's been a few days since I've replied but I've been keeping very busy these last few days. Just to follow up on the thread I ended up not buying that '71 twelve footer and instead found another boat. It's a 95/96 alumacraft T12S, that came with a 96 trailer and an 04 Nissan 9.8 4 stroke outboard motor. Picked up the whole package for 1500. Everything is in good shape, and the motor runs strong but doesn't idle. I think it's just ethanol build up that has clogged up the lower Jets on the carb but that's a tbd at this point the haven't had the time to monkey around with it yet. I'll post pics later and again thanks everyone for the input!

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The dent can be hammered out. GO EASY-Aluminum does not bend well and can crack. If it does, just coat the inside of the injured area with Gluv It and move on.

Not a big fan of Suzy's but their smaller ones werre better than the big ones.

Parts MAY be an issue. Look on this site (iboats) for simple stuff like water pumps and carb kits. You'll need both.

jmxan

Cadet
The dent can be hammered out. GO EASY-Aluminum does not bend well and can crack. If it does, just coat the inside of the injured area with Gluv It and move on. Not a big fan of Suzy's but their smaller ones werre better than the big ones. Parts MAY be an issue. Look on this site (iboats) for simple stuff like water pumps and carb kits. You'll need both.
Thanks for the reply, It's funny you mention Gluvit I was actually looking in to that a little bit last night. I assume you would recommend this product? It seems as though a lot of people use it and like it based on my online research.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's a bottom seam. From the size of the dent it took quite a hit. What is the condition of all of the ribs? You probably can't even tell by looking if there is any structural damage. A couple of years of hull pounding in waves and you might have issues.

I had an old tiinny with only 1 small broken rib. Then, year after year others went as well. Eventually the hull seams started leaking and the boat was unservicable. Once i was rear-ended in an auto accident (a different boat) - the bumper hit the transom. Very little cosmetic damaage, but every rib on that side of the boat was broken.

That boat without the dent is worth $300 in my neck of the woods. I vote to pass.

jmxan

Cadet
That's a bottom seam. From the size of the dent it took quite a hit. What is the condition of all of the ribs? You probably can't even tell by looking if there is any structural damage. A couple of years of hull pounding in waves and you might have issues.

I had an old tiinny with only 1 small broken rib. Then, year after year others went as well. Eventually the hull seams started leaking and the boat was unservicable. Once i was rear-ended in an auto accident (a different boat) - the bumper hit the transom. Very little cosmetic damaage, but every rib on that side of the boat was broken.

That boat without the dent is worth $300 in my neck of the woods. I vote to pass.

Thanks to the input of all posting members, yourself included, I came to the same conclusion. PASS!