Stingray boats

roffey

Commander
just running it by you people here, I am thinking of buying a new stingray boat and wanted to know what you people here think of them. It was my impression they are middle of the line boats. Let me know what you think or experience was or is.

tpenfield

Staff member
Lake boats . . . fairly light . . . average quality. . . decent value for the price.

You don't want to over power them as some models have been known to chine walk at higher speeds.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
The model I am thinking of is a 198 lx with a 4.3, so I suspect that will not be over powered?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It will not be overpowered - the 4.3 is perfect in that boat. Although its older, my dad has a 2001 190 LS with the 4.3 and its very peppy and maneuverable. Like Tpenfield said, and he put it perfectly in describing the boat, it is very much a lake boat and they are very light- a little rough in the chop but tolerable. The build quality is good - its a nice reliable boat with solid construction.

roffey

Commander
Nice, I am getting excited at the prospect of a brand new boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
P6100263web.jpg Our 190 Stingray is in the middle of her 31st season and we couldn't be happier. We used to upgrade every few years. The fact that we haven't since 1984 says it all. Our son's Stingray is now in her 7th season.

We are Lake boaters - Lakes Erie and Ontario. Plus the mighty Niagara River. We have the 3.0 Liter - back when it was a full 140 HP. Our son's has the 4.3 liter. I'll keep the 4 banger, thank you.

It's a relatively light boat, but after 30 years of pounding in heavy waves I can see no stress cracks or issues anywhere.

No, I don't work for the company. If I ever need another boat (doubtful) it'll be another Stingray.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
I'll keep you posted and if I do purchase I will post a few pictures. My problem is I have had really bad luck with boats over the past year. I went with older used boats and ended up having to sell due to motor problems. My wife is losing faith in my boat buying ability as am I. I think I have proved used may not be for me. If I buy brand new I get a warranty. My feeling is I can maintain the boat as I am good at getting maintenance done on time.

Here is the boat I am interested in, http://www.piratecovemarina.com/index.php/198-lx-str1056

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
I've got the same boat but with the 4.3L MPI. I've had it about a year and put 46 hours on it. Both me and my wife love the boat and it works well for our use. If you have any questions or would like to know specifics please shoot me an email or PM.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'll keep you posted and if I do purchase I will post a few pictures. My problem is I have had really bad luck with boats over the past year. I went with older used boats and ended up having to sell due to motor problems. My wife is losing faith in my boat buying ability as am I. I think I have proved used may not be for me. If I buy brand new I get a warranty. My feeling is I can maintain the boat as I am good at getting maintenance done on time.

Here is the boat I am interested in, http://www.piratecovemarina.com/index.php/198-lx-str1056

Personally, if I couldn't have a new boat I would save up until i could. Used junk can be good or cause you to leave boating forever. To me a waranty means a lot.

As far as warranty....

Stingray did well for me 31 years ago for the few minor issues I had. But, 7 years ago they went well beyond for my son. He had 2 seats that had the stitching coming loose. The boat was 1 year out of warranty and the particular seats were ones that were stepped on every time someone entered the boat. Stingray sent brand new seat sections to the dealer and the dealer UPS'd them to my son at no charge. They even would have made the repair at no charge but we said we could do it ourselves. (a couple of screws and 15 minutes work)

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One important consideration is the dealer. Their reputation?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
One important consideration is the dealer. Their reputation?
I used to subscribe to all of the boating mags years ago, but now there are only a few and the are all rags. Anyhoot, a few years ago there was a listing in many of the rags that listed the top 50 dealers in the country. Something like a JD Powers thing. My dealer was on the list. Nuff said.

roffey

Commander
Bought the boat today. I will take delivery on Thursday. I paid more money for this boat then anything before (house excluded). I am looking forward to trouble free boating for the next 20 years, still suffering from sticker shock. We are looking at a small cottage on a lake tomorrow, man you would think I won the lottery. I spent years saving, my parents passed away last year and I just thought you can't take it with you.

Thanks for the support on the new purchase.

tpenfield

Staff member
Bought the boat today. I will take delivery on Thursday. I paid more money for this boat then anything before (house excluded). I am looking forward to trouble free boating for the next 20 years, still suffering from sticker shock. We are looking at a small cottage on a lake tomorrow, man you would think I won the lottery. I spent years saving, my parents passed away last year and I just thought you can't take it with you.

Thanks for the support on the new purchase.

Congrats on the purchase . . . as far as trouble-free for 20 years? That's not going to happen, but hopefully, you and the boat will treat each other well.

roffey

Commander
well the next 5 years will be trouble free, it's got a warranty so Stingray will be on the hook for it, LOL.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Our hull and fittings have been 100% since new. The Mercruiser had several issues that were resolved within the first 3 years. I do oil changes, u-joint lube, impelller changes, etc,etc and don't consider that to be "trouble". Other than that ours has been trouble-free since about 1990!

OTOH, we have a 1964 Outboard Tinny that has been trouble-free its whole life. Many of the troubles we have are do to our own laziness or lack of knowledge.

tpenfield

Staff member
well the next 5 years will be trouble free, it's got a warranty so Stingray will be on the hook for it, LOL.

Yes, only if you do not have to use the warranty. Hopefully, the dealer will have checked everything out and all will be good. :) :thumb: