1989 Baja Islander 3.0 Merc

vitomitchell

Recruit
New to the Forum. But not new to boats. Ive owned a 28" Sunsation with a 454, 2008 Supra Launch 350, and a little Flat Bottom John. My question is that my Grandmother has a 1989 19ft Open Bow Baja Islander thats been sitting for 7 years in a heated pole barn. Used 3 times in the 4 previous years. Its a 3.0 Merc from what her and the neighbor told her. I called Merc and they said that engine is rated for 115 Hp. Its a Alpha One Gen 1 1.98 Gear Ratio . I found that odd since every other 3.0 i encounter was around 125-135 hp. My question is will this be enough power to pull a wakeboarder or tuber with 3-4 adults in the Boat. Or 5-6 adults for a cruise. Im not looking to break any speed records here, but i dont want something ill end up havng to sell because its underpowered. Will i have better performance due to the Baja hull? Looking for some awnsers and advice.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

That powertrain will be marginal, at best. But with the right prop, it might work for tubers.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Not sure about wakeboarding, but you should be able to pull tubers. Your performance won't be great - but I would try it and out and see what you get, particularly if the price of the boat is a hug for grandma and some thanks!

thumpar

Admiral
They did make a 115hp 3.0l. It used the 2.5l head. The best thing to do would be get the serial number. It is kind of a big boat for that engine. Tubes don't take much to pull but getting a wakeboard up might be tougher unless they want to drink some water.

vitomitchell

Recruit
Thumpar...thats how i found out it was 115hp. I was in a little shock when Merc told me this over the phone. Anyhow the boat is super cheap and in immaculate condition. New cover, new vynle, stringers are good and shes going to get it looked at by a marine mechanic out there and change out all the plugs, hoses normal stuff that would need to be done. So even though it doesnt have much power its a pretty good deal. Thanks for all your help guys