Trip to the Dealer - Pre Purchase Inspection/Survey

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I am selling an outobard motor fishing boat and the long distance buyer wanted a mechanic's inspection before he drove up to buy it. I agreed, on the terms that he mailed me a deposit, paid for the inspection, he had to buy it if the report came back good which I was confident it would, and it had to be on a weekday evening (that part did not work out and I ending up having to take time off work).

Everything came back good and the buyer says he is picking the boat up on Saturday, however I have a few problems with the check the dealer did.

-The reputable chain dealer charged the buyer $159 labor and $7 shop fees for this "Pre Purchase Check". From the time the mechanic picked the boat up in the lot, uncovered it, and dropped it back off in the lot with the cover back on was 35 mintues. In this example alone I think the buyer got taken for a ride becuase their hourly labor rate is $119.
- They told the buyer the batteries were "good", they have a date on them from 4/2007, I would not consider 7+ year old batteries good. I suspect the mechanic just saw the volt meter read over 12 and called it good.
- They told the buyer the tires were "good", the tread is good but tread doesn't mean squat with trailer tires. The tires are dated 2002. I would not consider 12 year old tires good. I suspect the mechanic just saw the tread and called it good.
-The mechanic did a compression check and reported the numbers this I think is very benificail to the buyer. They also ran the motor and reported that it ran good. However they did not do a leak down test.
-They reported back the navigation and trailer lights worked which is nice but by my math that buyer paid an hourly rate of $274 for something anyone can do with no tools required, a complete waste of money IMO.
-The mechanic checked about 15 other things but they were nothing more than visual checks from what I can tell. Carpet - OK, Fuel Tank - OK..... things like that. This mercury motor does not have an onboard diagnostic computer for the mechanic to check.

In the case of this out of town buyer he was at the mercy of the dealer to pay whatever they charge but to anyone who is at least a little mechanically inclined and looking at buying a boat I would recommend reading up on the subject and doing the check yourself, compression gauges can be bought at any auto parts store, and doing a water test will clue you in some things a mechanic can not test in the shop. I'm sure there are other shops out there that do a better check than this, if it was my $166 I would call around and try to get the mechanic on the phone to see what he will do and what his results were. In this case the buyer only got to talk to the service guy who was looking at a sheet full of check boxes and very few notes.

Hopefully this write up helps any buyers out there that were thinking about paying a shop to check out a boat.

This was my first trip to a dealer in a long time, here are some other things I noticed while there:

They do not make my boat anymore, the 225 is the biggest open bow Glastron makes, they use to offer a 235 (mine) and a 255, I rarely see those on the water so I guess it makes sense they discontinued them.

The new paint schemes and styling of the Glastrons is very sharp however the floor plan is identical to the ones from the 2000s. You can buy a clean low hour 2000 Glastron 195 for $10k and then put $1k into new interior, or a 2014 205 for $35k (after taxes and fees) and they will function the exact same. Of course you'll have higher repairs with the old one but $24k can buy you a lot of repairs.

They STILL put the GM 5.0 V8 in boats.....when buying new and you have a choice of engine I really can't see why you would get that over the 5.7. I do not know what the cost difference is.

New boats are expensive, MSRP for the Lund Pro V 1975 with a trailer, 200 verado, kicker and terrova trolling motor is $70,400. By the time you add front and rear Sonar/GPS, tax and dealer fees you'll be around $75k. I think that is a great boat and you could have it for a lifetime but $75k for a 19' tin boat is crazy. There was a sale going so the boat could be had for less now that is late season.

My 4 year old son and I were in the showroom for about 30 minutes, I only saw 3 other customers the whole time and two salesman and receptionist. Besides the service guy that checked me in no one said a word to us. One sales guy was kicked back in his chair eating a candy bar and the other was on his computer. I'm in sales and if that was me I'd be chatting up every customer that walked in on a slow day like that.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Kudos for your criticism of the dealer and for calling it out in a post for others. Many would call it good like this inspector and just trade the boat away without a second thought. It appears the only real value add for the buyer here was the compression test? Did they check the transom, flooring, stringers?

Thanks for the post.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
- They told the buyer the tires were "good", the tread is good but tread doesn't mean squat with trailer tires. The tires are dated 2002. I would not consider 12 year old tires good. I suspect the mechanic just saw the tread and called it good.

-The mechanic did a compression check and reported the numbers this I think is very benificail to the buyer. They also ran the motor and reported that it ran good. However they did not do a leak down test.

On those two items. I'd actually trust a good visual inspection of the tire before I even considered date. I have trailer tires over 30 years old that are perfectly good, and others that are 2 years old that I barely trust to drive a mile on. Age means nothing. Keep them out of UV light and they last a long time.

And as far as compression vs leakdown, what you saw is typical and expected. First of all, if its a 2 stroke, you will absolutely have an issue with compression if the leakdown #'s show anything. If it is a 4 stroke, there are a VERY limited number of scenarios (mainly jumped timing belt) where you can have a good compression but poor leakdown. Typical accepted standards is to only do a compression, and if the numbers are poor, you do a leakdown if further diagnosis is needed.

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Kudos for your criticism of the dealer and for calling it out in a post for others. Many would call it good like this inspector and just trade the boat away without a second thought. It appears the only real value add for the buyer here was the compression test? Did they check the transom, flooring, stringers?

Thanks for the post.

The floor was one of the 15 or so items that the mechanic checked off as "OK", I believe the same for transom (I don't have the sheet with me right now). Of course it begs the question did he just look at them for 2 seconds or did he prod and poke around with a screwdriver. Like I said if it was my money I'd want to talk to him and get details. Stringers were not mentioned but this is an aluminum Crestliner.

It is a two stroke carb 125 HP motor

jestor68

Commander
I'm trying to understand your problem with the boat passing inspection(not a marine survey).

Would you have been happier if stuff was found wrong and you had to pay to fix it?

You're making a lot of assumptions on how the inspection was performed, since you did not actually witness anything.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have a problem with it passing, I have a problem with the way the dealer went about it, which I clearly state in the 2nd paragraph. I posted the thread so that potential buyers could have a first hand account of what an inspection entails.

Yes I am making assumptions but I've stated they are just that. Most of those assumptions are based on the fact the whole process took what I think is a short amount of time.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
$159 for an inspection is not out of line, regardless of length of time it took, and their "normal" hourly rate.
A flat rate fee for inspection, period.

If the batteries were dead, they would have had to swap out or jump the battery to complete the inspection.
If the compression was bad, then a leak down would be in order, and take additional time.
If the floor or transom showed issues, additional time would have been needed to determine the extent of damage.
If engine ran rough, additional diagnostics would have been needed, spark check, carbs, fuel delivery and hoses, etc.

Now, if the tech did not do the inspection, that would be a different issue.

So, tell the buyer the age of the tires and batteries, and close the deal.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not understanding the issue here. Your post is so acidic towards the dealer. I think the dealer did exactly what you asked him to do. You might be a person who doesn't like anyone making a buck besides you and I'll bet had they found something wrong with your boat you'd be PO'd.

They do not make my boat anymore, the 225 is the biggest open bow Glastron makes
The reason they don't make it anymore is either no one was buying it or they couldn't turn a profit.

the floor plan is identical to the ones from the 2000s
Why change what works? I'm not sure I understand how many different seating arrangements can be found in a 21' boat. Did you grab a catalog? Do you know what other arrangements there are?

You bash the manufacturer for still putting 5.0L engines in boats and then the very next paragraph you complain about how much boats cost. When the economy went south all boat manufacturers scaled back to bare bones. But you can't scale back the size or cost of your production facility. And if you expect to stay in business selling less boats you will have to make more per unit.

I'm in sales and if that was me I'd be chatting up every customer that walked in on a slow day like that.
I doubt you are in retail sales. I'm betting you headed straight back to the service desk. They noticed. You are a service customer and not in the market for a new boat. If they didn't at least acknowledge your existence then yes, they need some training.

Bottom line is you've got a HO for this dealer, or maybe all dealers.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
....I'm betting you headed straight back to the service desk. They noticed. You are a service customer and not in the market for a new boat. If they didn't at least acknowledge your existence then yes, they need some training.

Bottom line is you've got a HO for this dealer, or maybe all dealers.

I did go straight for the service side of the show room however that doesn't mean I am not in the market for a new boat. Actually I was there because I was selling a boat which of course would make me a perfect candidate to sell a new boat to. Also, I have a family member in the car business and they sell a lot of cars to people in for service, so much so they started offering free oil changes to people that buy cars. Behind the scenes they call it the $30,000 oil change.

I had never been to this chain of dealers before but I will admit I went into the process thinking it would probably be a lot of fluff, the time the mechanic spent with the boat confirmed that to me. That of course is just my opinion, you're free to form your own.

Out of curiosity is this the place in Shakopee?

It was in Rogers but they do have a store in Shakopee