Pontoon Cabin Project

I'd like to enclose the rearward portion of my 1987 24 foot pontoon. It has a canvas cover over an aluminum tubing frame for a roof to start with. I was thinking to enclose under the roof with a solid vinyl wall material. Large screened windows would be installed for making sure we could see where we were headed.<br /><br />To offset the added rearward weight I could move the two gas tanks and three batteries under the forward seats and ventilate the area to prevent going 'BOOM' while underway.<br /><br />My problem is I don't know of any wall material that would hold up to the Florida heat and salt environment. Also am I getting into a problem with moving gas tanks?<br /><br />Any help out there would be welcome!!<br /><br />Thanks, Mike, Pensacola, FL

ccrawford

Cadet
Re: Pontoon Cabin Project

Just finished a houseboat project where we used vinyl siding for outside and fiberglass pebbleboard (like in a bathroom) for the inside. Both of those materials will stand up to just about anything, and they are fairly easy to cut with the right blade on a jig saw.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If the area under your present canvas roof is open now allowing the wind to flow freely that when you add sides you will be blocking the air flow. This will make steering very difficult in any kind of wind. Consider using canvas with zipers that you could roll up and get out of the way when the wind gets nasty.<br /><br />Marine canvas lasts quite well in the sun and salt. I would minimize the plastic windows as they go first due the UV rays of the sun. They will start to get cloudy in 2-3 years and become opaque and crack in 3-5 yrs. The next thing to go is the thread in the seams. That seems to last about 5 years then you have to get them re-sown. The canvas will last much longer if left open to the breezes.<br /><br />My canvas top (23' CC) is 10 years old and still holding up well. I have had the seams re-sown twice and the plastic window on my dodger replaced with canvas.

Thanks for the thoughts about the material. It's going to be a winter project so I've got lots of time to work out the major and minor details.<br /><br />I can understand the 'hard to steer' thought but you advised to roll it up when it got nasty. I thought a cabin was for getting in out of the nasty weather.<br /><br />Mike

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A cabin - be it canvas or a solid material - will act just like a sail in any kind of wind. If the wind is strong enough you will not be able to maintain control. That is why you might want to consider canvas as it can be rolled up thus cutting wind resistance. If you never have any wind this is a non issue & use what you think best.

624oldron

Cadet

My friend Joe, whose sanity is often in question, built a houseboat on 2 pontoons, which he made, and fitted a small camper on top. It had stove and sink, good shelt etc.. But he got his weight distribution wrong and it sank.

BillP

Captain

Mike,<br /><br />I've got a pontoon boat and thought of doing a cabin on it when the interior is ready to be replaced. I want something more secure than full canvas. <br /><br />Most of the pontoon boats with cabins have aluminum for the siding. It's the same material they use for the "spray skirts" on 99% of all pontoon boats. This method goes back to the early 1960s and is still the way they do it. Vinyl should work too but I think they use aluminum because it is a tad more rigid and requires less support structure...but that's just my opinion from looking at hurricane damaged mobile homes.<br /> <br />Some cabins are insulated and others just a single skin on the outside. That's a consideration to deal with for weight and comfort.<br />Windage is a problem but it just takes some time to learn the quirks. Trailering windage and height would be my concern. I see no problem relocating tanks and other gear forward to keep the boat balanced.<br /><br />Tracker makes a 24' "Party Hut" that sounds like what you want to do. There is also a company in Florida that makes cabin kits for pontoon boats but the price is waaay high. Google search and you will find them.<br /><br />Good luck.

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Mike,<br /><br />I've got a pontoon boat and thought of doing a cabin on it when the interior is ready to be replaced. I want something more secure than full canvas. <br /><br />Most of the pontoon boats with cabins have aluminum for the siding. It's the same material they use for the "spray skirts" on 99% of all pontoon boats. This method goes back to the early 1960s and is still the way they do it. Vinyl should work too but I think they use aluminum because it is a tad more rigid and requires less support structure...but that's just my opinion from looking at hurricane damaged mobile homes.<br /> <br />Some cabins are insulated and others just a single skin on the outside. That's a consideration to deal with for weight and comfort.<br />Windage is a problem but it just takes some time to learn the quirks. Trailering windage and height would be my concern. I see no problem relocating tanks and other gear forward to keep the boat balanced.<br /><br />Tracker makes a 24' "Party Hut" that sounds like what you want to do. There is also a company in Florida that makes cabin kits for pontoon boats but the price is waaay high. Google search and you will find them.<br /><br />Good luck.

Originally posted by Mike Oliver:<br />
Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Mike,<br /><br />I've got a pontoon boat and thought of doing a cabin on it when the interior is ready to be replaced. I want something more secure than full canvas. <br /><br />Most of the pontoon boats with cabins have aluminum for the siding. It's the same material they use for the "spray skirts" on 99% of all pontoon boats. This method goes back to the early 1960s and is still the way they do it. Vinyl should work too but I think they use aluminum because it is a tad more rigid and requires less support structure...but that's just my opinion from looking at hurricane damaged mobile homes.<br /> <br />Some cabins are insulated and others just a single skin on the outside. That's a consideration to deal with for weight and comfort.<br />Windage is a problem but it just takes some time to learn the quirks. Trailering windage and height would be my concern. I see no problem relocating tanks and other gear forward to keep the boat balanced.<br /><br />Tracker makes a 24' "Party Hut" that sounds like what you want to do. There is also a company in Florida that makes cabin kits for pontoon boats but the price is waaay high. Google search and you will find them.<br /><br />Good luck.
Thanks for the positive suggestions. I've looked at the cabins in Florida and they are high dollar for what they are. Again, Thanks

Originally posted by Mike Oliver:<br />
Thanks for the info. It looks workable anyway.