Embed nut in floor?

I am installing the Fishmaster Grab Bar and the instructions call for the stainless screws to be pre-drilled and secured with 5200. That is all fine and good but I don't always want the grab bar on the boat.

Is there a way to pre-drill and set embedded nuts in the floor for the screws/bolts so that I can remove the screws/bolts (and grab rail) entirely when I want?

I remember using some sort of nut that would embed in concrete so we could secure lag bolts for computer cabinets to the floor.

Does anyone know where I can get some sort of stainless nut like this or what its called if it exists?

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
"
  • Can be installed and removed from the boat simply and quickly for easy storage."

Are you saying you want to remove the base??? Then you'd sill have nuts protruding, or are you going to countersink them?

I want the nut flush with the deck, which I think the tee-nut will do as long as I can get one that can handle at least a 1.5 inch bolt

That^^^ (tapping inserts for wood). T-nuts are made to be inserted from the back side, it doesn't sound like there's access under the deck in this case.

The thing you're gonna' have to watch out for is sealing those things good so that no water can get to the wood, and you'll probably want to put a screw in them even with the grab bar removed.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want the nut flush with the deck, which I think the tee-nut will do as long as I can get one that can handle at least a 1.5 inch bolt

like so?

images

No access to under the deck, I think the Tee Nuts will work, I notice there is a Round that has no prongs which would work great and not chew up more of the deck than I need. Now I just need to find some that provide about 1.5" in depth. Thanks for all the replies.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
These T-nuts have to be installed from the bottom otherwise they get pulled out. Look at what lever you have with that grab-bar. If you install them from the top you have to put a sign on it: "Do not grab this grab-bar!".

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
X100... Do NOT use T-nuts.. They absolutely MUST be on the reverse side.. the threaded inserts bedded to the deck with EPOXY are the correct part... rubber washers could be glued to the top to prevent water from getting through the deck in case there is foam below.