Planning to buy a Tahoe Q5i SF boat.

benzy550

Recruit
Hi,
i checked out tahoe q5i sf boat at pro bass store at katy, and really like it, i never own a boat before.
is this boat will be good for the lakes around houston, such as summervile, lake conroe, livingston....., someone say will be rough for those lake, should get q7, but q7 is too much for me with 2 adult and one kid.
please give some feed back....
have a great day.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
It will be just "okay" in heavy chop. Entry level boat, lightweight, average build quality. But they sell a lot of them
based on price and looks alone.

benzy550

Recruit
thanks for feedback, I never own a boat before, this one will cost $35k with 5yrs warranty. I don't fishing, but for weekend relax with my wife and daughter.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
35K is ridiculous for that boat. Get something used , higher quality and bigger for less money.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I almost pulled the trigger on a Tahoe until I started comparing spec's.

The boat I bought was the nearly identical, size wise/powerplant, but 700# heavier.

That told me something.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I don't what the lakes are like down south but I can tell you about the boat. My co-worker has one, with the 4.3 MPI, and it is nimble and quick. On gps with the aluminum prop at wot it hit 54 mph (with 15 gallons of fuel and 3 adults). Works great for tubing and skiing. We have taken it in the lakes here, with 2-3 foot waves and it did just fine. I would not take it on Lake Superior unless it was calm. It think the dry weight is around 2700 Lbs.

oldjeep

Admiral
I almost pulled the trigger on a Tahoe until I started comparing spec's.

The boat I bought was the nearly identical, size wise/powerplant, but 700# heavier.

That told me something.

It told you the boat you bought needed a diet? ;) I'm assuming that the one you bought was at a different price point than the Tahoe.

oldjeep

Admiral
35K is ridiculous for that boat. Get something used , higher quality and bigger for less money.

And no warranty, and no idea what the PO did to it. Someone has to buy new boats, and they are not getting any cheaper.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Warranty is short lived in the life of a boat, nice to have but not a selling point for me. Ok for a first time buyer I suppose.
Our current boat was bought new, 2 yr. warranty, boat is in it's 3rd
season, and we never used the warranty.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It told you the boat you bought needed a diet? ;) I'm assuming that the one you bought was at a different price point than the Tahoe.

NO! I do! ;-) Need the diet that is!

Seriously, the boat I bought was three years old with 15 hours. 2/3 the price, and 1/2 more boat. Motivated seller with service records. $10G less thus I paid cash-no financing.

Plus a V-P drive which I think superior to an MC. Same engine but the layout of the V-P in this boat is stunning. Everything in its place and nothing left "dangling". Access to anything on the engine is fantastic. The Tahoe I looked as if it would require some real gymnastics to get to basic stuff. Not a lot of thought there.

Yea, parts are more expensive but I do like the drive. Shifting is SMOOTH with no clunks.

In all fairness, I never drove a Tahoe. I do know that what I bought will handle some VERY serious stuff and not complain or creak. I'm just so impressed with the fit/finish. Everywhere you look-it's finished with attention to detail.

Last edited: