Advantage Boat gas tank

choptop

Recruit
I have a 1987 19.5 ft. Advantage ski boat. I have a bunch of crud (crystalized old gas) in the tank, How can I flush this out.
Does the tank have to come out?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah you need to remove the tank. Otherwise I don't know how you would be able to move the solvent around and dump out the gunk.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
My preferred method of getting crap out of a tank is to replace the tank. Even if you remove the old tank, you only have a 6" hole to work in, so if you want to try and clean the tank, you might as well leave it in the boat. Unless you have a LOT of crap in there, lets say 1/4" layer on the bottom, leave it alone and install a large volume fuel filter as close to the tank as possible (check the filter regularly). If you have a lot of goo, I would suggest you yank the tank and replace it with a new tank. If you want try to clean it, get your boat on a trailer, remove as much gas as you can by siphon, and dump 5 gallons of gunwash in the tank and go for a drive for an hour or 2. Siphon out the gunwash, put 5 gallons of gasoline in tank,( just a short drive this time) and siphon out the gas. Install a large volume filter to catch the rest, fill er up and go boating. And for gosh sake, don't do like my idiot neighbour and try to use a shop vac to suck out the gas and crap out of the tank.:lol: