1997 Wellcraft Eclipse 2400SC build quality?

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering if anyone has experience/knowledge regarding this model. Reportedly it has a one year old 5.7 fuel injected motor with a reconditioned DP.
Engine serial # 4110141349
Model 5.7 Gi PLKDCE
The owner reports that it was only used in fresh water. The boat has been bottom painted so I assume it is left in the water during the summer. I am a little concerned when I see boats for sale so soon after being repowered.

I plan to have a look at the boat sometime this week (possibly tonight). The only information I have found on the internet so far is that the wiring can be below par and the engine mounts are prone to rot on similar Wellcraft models from the late 1990s. I'm assuming the mounts likely ok if the motor was recently replaced.

We currently have a 1990 21' Larson with the 175hp 4.3l merc so I think this boat may be a nice upgrade. Both my wife and I like to occasionally slalom ski and our 13 year daughter is just learning to ski. We all have no trouble skiing behind our current boat. One small issue we have is the ride quality in choppy water so I hope the wellcraft will be a little smoother.

I plan to test drive it if we like the boat and the build quality is acceptable.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Build quality is one thing, 17 years of age is another thing. They are both factors, but probably the 17 years is the biggest factor. So, the condition of the boat after that amount of time is the most important. Wellcraft could be considered average to above average build quality. Compare deadrise of the hulls - Wellcraft versus the Larson for an indication of ride quality.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK - thanks tpenfield. Do you happen to know if the stingers and transom are wood core construction?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have that exact boat in a 98 model. I have the 7.4L in it. Like tpenfield said, it is average to above average build quality. I believe they have standard wood construction for the stringers and I know for a fact there is wood in the transom. Coming from my previous boat which was a late 80's Bayliner, it was magnitudes better in quality than that boat!

I had to rebuild a few areas of the engine/seat box due to a little rot. This was mainly caused by a leaky cover that the boat had when I bought it. I bought mine in 2002 and it was first sold in 1999 so it had 3 years of use and 70 hours when I bought it.

Wiring is fine. I see no issues. Its a hard design to add wires at the dash and bring them to the back. Working on the engine can be tight, especially changing out the starter unless you remove the whole rear seating area. That in of itself isn't too bad unless you are like me and have switches, battery chargers and other things mounted to it.

I pull my drive every year and check alignment. I have never needed to adjust it so that indicates less chance of rot in the stringers occurring. Mine is not sitting in the water all the time and I live in southern California so water intrusion is a lot less of a factor.

To be honest, it wasn't my first choice when I bought it. I was looking at a Four Winns also at the time but I got such a great buy that I basically couldn't pass it up. I bought it for half of what the previous owner bought it for. It also had 2 years left on an extended warranty.

I have been happy with it for the 12 years I have owned it.

lake_mead.jpg

Last edited:

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is alot of boat to ski behind. I would expect a considerable wake even at slalom speeds, maybe a good reason to wakeboard instead. Good luck with your shopping.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the information everyone! Very helpful. Amazing photo bruceb58.

I must admit I am a little leery of a boat with wood core that has been moored in the summer. I usually launch mine on Friday and take it out on Sunday for that reason. We are only 5 minuted from the boat launch and we moor in a cove withing walking distance

He is asking $11,900 Canadian, which I think is compatible to other fresh water boats in the area with similiar specs. At this time I'm thinking I may stick with the devil I know. The old larson has been working pretty good these days.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's not a bad price although you can probably get it for less. I paid a little more than $21K for mine 12 years ago but that included a Zodiac dinghy and a 4hp Merc.

If anything that was attached to the transom like depth finders and such was done properly, there is less of a problem with transom. I know on my boat since it is always stored dry as a bone, I really have no worries at all with stringers.

How many newer boats are not using wood for stringers and transom? I have been out of the market for awhile so I have no idea.

Last edited:

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am not antiwood on boat...it just seems to up the risk a bit when buying a used boat. I believe the newer boats have reduced the risk of rot by using better build methods. Do you think a 5.7l is adaquate power for that boat? I would think it is a big step up from my current boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It might be ok. I really like the 7.4L in it though and I kinda need it since I use my boat up at a 6200' elevation lake.

tpenfield

Staff member
I am not anti-wood on boat...it just seems to up the risk a bit when buying a used boat. I believe the newer boats have reduced the risk of rot by using better build methods.. . . ..

Yes, one would think that, but it is not always the case. So, to be sure, you really have to look into the guts of a used boat to see what their handy work looks like, and how they have incorporated the stringers and bulkheads into the hull,

I can show you some pictures of a poorly made boat that is only about 10 years old.

Additionally, many manufacturers started using pressure treated wood in the early 2000's, but not all manufacturers. I find it is best to research a particular brand of boat that you are interested in so that you know what to look for in assessing its condition. Of course it take a bit of digging on the web and elsewhere, as manufacturers are usually fairly vague about their construction methods. They typically invest in the parts of the boat that you can see.

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just picked up the 1997 20' eclipse. build quality is great, my floor is solid and the boat was slipped in salt water and not maintained before i bought it. the only rot i have is on the engine cover where the struts are supposed to mount, havent had it in the water yet as i had to reseal the outdrive and do bellows and gimbal bearing, finishing that all up now and hopefully dropping it in the water sunday

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
roc doc, 24.5 feet, near 4000 lbs w/fuel and 8.5 beam, depending on your expectations I'd defiantly want to water test and see how it gets up and goes with the 5.7 L (I think 250 HP) . Going to move some good fuel when playing around with a skier. Also you said you will be towing, assume you already have a setup for at least a 5000 - 6000 lb load.. with trailer and gear, people in the vehicle. Not being negative , I do like that boat., but I had an under powered boat once and regretted it, seemed to use more fuel than the larger engines.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Dry weight is 4200. 80 gallons of fuel adds 480#. It is close to 6000# towing weight with not much else in it.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think that motor is closer to 300hp and I think the DP should help. I will definitely wet test though. I really wanted to stay closer to 21' for that reason but this boat caught my eye.No troubles in the towing department and the launch is within 3 miles of my doorstep.

May not matter because the seller has not returned any of my texts or VMs - looks like it may have sold within 4 hrs of listing.

Last edited:

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 2000 SS. Looking forward to the boat as I own an older Regal and this boat looks really nice. Comes with the 5.7 VP GS which I think only makes 225 hp but its a step up from my 3.0 liter mercruiser.