Taylor Made windshield leak

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer
Well, this is annoying: boat is a 2000 Striper and the top frame on one side of the Taylor Made windshield is pulling away from the glass. It's studded with snaps for the canvas/clear vinyl top. Seaswirl did a Sgt. Schultz on me (Heimmel! I know noth-ting!") and referred me to Taylor Made who hasn't yet answered my emails.<br /><br />Anyone ever taken a windshield apart? I can't tell if the frame is spot welded @ the seams or if those screws are to something else.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Taylor Made windshield leak

I haven't worked on 1 as new as yours,<br />But every Taylor Made windshield I've ever looked at,<br />Is held together with Screws or Rivits.........<br />Sometimes Very Well Hidden, but always with Screws or Rivits........

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks lots. Looks like it to me too, but I don't want to crack the windshield prying on the wrong thing!

Bondo

Staff member

Unbolt it from the hull 1st,+ it will become much clearer........

ssnedeker

Recruit

There should be one screw in each corner. The top extrusion can be removed by taking out one screw at each end. You shouldn't need to remove the entire windshield, but if you do the unit is secured by screws along the outside bottom, which are hidden under a foam strip.<br /><br />I'm assuming that the top frame is pulling away because you have a bimini strap attached there (that's a common problem with curved aluminum frames). There isn't really any way to fix it. Even if Taylor Made will send you a new top extrusion it will be expensive and the same problem will likely happen again. The solution I used on a similar boat was to relocate the bimini strap eyes closer to the vertical parts of the frame, which kept the top frame from pulling up. The slightly angled straps didn't look as nice, but it worked.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />ScottS

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks folks....appreciate the help. Yes, Tire, there's no bimini strap, but there is a clear vinyl "windshield extension" between the glass windshield and the bimini, with snaps all along the top of the upper windshield frame. I suspect normal wind force pulled up the frame. <br />Once I re-seat the top frame, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep it pulled down. Other than a strap down the middle of the windshield, I haven't come up with much.<br />I see a potential for a majorly sticky caulk here!