Hard steering ONLY in water

matt4123

Cadet
So i recently purchased a 1977 mfg 17' boat with a johnson 135 2 stroke. It steers perfect fine out of thr water whether the motor is trimmed all the way up or all the way down. I can effortlessly move the motor with 1 hand on the steering wheel. The problem is when i get it moving in the water it take 2 hands and a decent amount of effort to turn the steering wheel (both to the left and to the right). So im under the impression that the cables are fine because of the ease of movement out of the water. Just a little more information: the skeg on the bottom of the motor is worn down i would say an inch or 2. The previous owner must have dragged it a time or 2. so could a worn down skeg cause this much effort to steer when under load moving in the water. Or am i looking at a different problem? Any help would be much appreciate.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
as you have the same in both directions the engine torque compensation shouldn't be the problem (OK, it still could bind the cable). A remodelled skeg shouldn't be able to do that.
Two things I could think of:
- the engine moves a bit when it pushes and it could somehow bind the steering rod. Check on land what happens when you push the lower forward and try to steer.
- had that on both, the current (I/O) and previous boat (O/B). They both had PO installed fins (Doel-fin) and were, besides other issues, very hard to steer in the water. As soon as these fins were removed they were both fine.

Last edited:

matt4123

Cadet
I was able to jack up my trailer and lower the motor to operating position and tried steering it tonight, and it is just as easy in the full down position as it is in the full up postion. Also i do not have any doel fins on the engine. I lubricated the cable with some white lithium grease and we'll see what happens. Any other ideas on what could cause this extremely hard turning while moving on the water?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
did you have someone push the lower unit forward? That's where it may be able to bind. Just one possible cause and I am sure there are more "options".

It is also possible that due to the larger forces in the cable that the unit in the helm start to go hard. Can happen when it's a bit worn out or the grease is stone-age.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain
You did not mention whether or not the problem is speed sensitive but your motor should have a Trim Tab (p/n 0338742) attached to the bottom of the Anti-Ventilation Plate and aft of the prop to help the reduce the amount of steering effort required for that big motor at off-idle speeds. Just a thought. Good luck!