NC trailer title question

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay guys I got trailer question. Used to be simple to do a homemade trailer but that has changed. I have a chance to get a trailer with SC bill of sale what else would I need to get it titled in NC.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A notarized bill of sale, NC is plumb queer about notaries ... ;)

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a boat in GA and had to get it titled in NC. The boat was easy with NC department of wildlife, but the DMV is going to laugh at a notarized bill of sale. If it doesn't have a title with a clear chain of custody you're in for a lot of fun. You will need to go through the titling process that includes, filling out a ton of forms, having it inspected, and bonding the trailer for 3 years ($150 right there). Then filling out the form again when they loose them. I had that boat a year and was still dealing with the DMV on the trailer when I traded it. In my opinion unless it's a very good deal look elsewhere.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
but the DMV is going to laugh at a notarized bill of sale.

That's because Georgia titles boat trailers, South Carolina does not. Totally different NC DMV requirements ... :facepalm:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
but the DMV is going to laugh at a notarized bill of sale. That's because Georgia titles boat trailers, South Carolina does not. Totally different NC DMV requirements ... :facepalm:
Doesn't really matter what the other state does if you don't have a title with a clear chain of custody N.C. will not accept it. GA does not title trailers. So when the original owner bought the boat frim the dealer in GA they never filled out the title it was there it just was not filled out or filled with GA. When they traded the boat on the new one and I bought the old one the title was there but never filled out because GA doesn't title trailers. NC DMV would not accept it because it didn't have a clear chain of custody between the owner of the trailer. I still have that title and it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
NC DMV would not accept it because it didn't have a clear chain of custody between the owner of the trailer.

So, all you had was a title from some 'owner', and just a bill of sale from your seller? No, I guess NC wouldn't do it with that break in chain of custody ...

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
NC DMV would not accept it because it didn't have a clear chain of custody between the owner of the trailer.

So, all you had was a title from some 'owner', and just a bill of sale from your seller? No, I guess NC wouldn't do it with that break in chain of custody ...

No, the title was the the original one issued from the company that made the trailer to the dealership that sold the boat new. They never filled it when they sold the boat to the first owner. That owner traded it to the dealership I bought it from used. They never filled out the title.

The bill of sale I had was from a dealership not just some dude. Oh and the boat was financed so Bank and DVM went round and round about the lien hold releasing the lien so the bond could be recorded in the DMVs name.

All this had nothing to do with the title because as far as the DMV was concerned I didn't have one. I was filling for a lost title. Only when the folks in Raleigh found out I had the original title they decided they wanted it anyway so I had to send it to them. This was 5 months after I got my tags.

I had that boat a year and when I traded it the bank, DMV, and myself were still going around in circles. I was so glad to be rid of that headache. I was really a example of government incompetence at it's best.

This was JUST my experience I can't say it's the same for everyone, but my neighbors waited 2 years to get the trailer titled on their boat they bought out of state because they didn't want to deal with the crap either.

Last edited:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All this had nothing to do with the title because as far as the DMV was concerned I didn't have one.

Looks as if you didn't have a title or any other document establishing chain of ownership. The Manufacturer Statement of Origin (it's not a title) should have been conveyed to you by the dealer much the same as any DMV title in the dealer's name would be. Dealers typically don't get a DMV title in their name, but rather transfer the MSO on first sale. Your problem was with the dealer, DMV probably followed the rules, which is not to say they seem to sometimes make it really, really hard for citizens to do so ... :facepalm:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Outsider, You're right I had no title that established a chain of ownership. I had a bill of sale from the dealership and the Manufacture Statement of Origin for both the boat and trailer. NC Wildlife had no problems with this when it came to the boat. They opened up a book and found that GA was a non-title state filled out a little paperwork, gave me my registration numbers and sent me on my way.

NC DVM told me unless I had a title that showed a clear chain of ownership I had to file for a lost or missing title. They did not say all I needed was a notarized bill of sale they said I needed a title. They wanted the bill of sale too which I provided, but in order to register the trailer in my name I had to have a title. Since I didn't have one they told me the process to go through to file for one. This process was paperwork, inspection of the trailer, and bonding.

It seems to me if OP bought that trailer in SC with no title he would be in the same situation I was in. I take it you have been able to walk into the DMV with just a notarized bill of sale and walk out 10 minutes later with tags in your hand and a title on it's way to your mailbox. Cause if that's the case I need your contact at the DMV because my brother has a trailer he needs to get titled.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Straight from DMV tag agency in Salisbury, concerning SC purchase: Assuming the trailer weighs less than 2500# (title not required in SC), 1) Buyer needs a notarized bill of sale identifying the trailer by year/make/model/VIN, and, 2) an affidavit from the seller identifying the trailer, where/when it was purchased, and from whom (with as complete an address as possible). The affidavit doesn't have to be notarized, but is suggested. If the purchase is new from a dealer, a properly conveyed MSO and notarized BoS is required.

2 Notes: 1) If a trailer comes from a state that requires registration, but not titles (FL for trailers less than 2000#), the last registration in the seller's name is required as it constitutes an ownership document for the seller. That was 1 of 3 trips I had to make to DMV before walking out with tag and title. 2) Any trailer may be titled in SC, if desired though not required.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in NC, I have a trailer (OLD) from SC and not titled and no records. I have to go through the whole inspection, bonding, paperwork process. I am in the process now. It sucks. In the meantime I am just taking my chances and trailering it without tags. Screw it, look at trailers as you pass by. 50% don't have em.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Straight from DMV tag agency in Salisbury, concerning SC purchase: Assuming the trailer weighs less than 2500# (title not required in SC), 1) Buyer needs a notarized bill of sale identifying the trailer by year/make/model/VIN, and, 2) an affidavit from the seller identifying the trailer, where/when it was purchased, and from whom (with as complete an address as possible). The affidavit doesn't have to be notarized, but is suggested. If the purchase is new from a dealer, a properly conveyed MSO and notarized BoS is required.

2 Notes: 1) If a trailer comes from a state that requires registration, but not titles (FL for trailers less than 2000#), the last registration in the seller's name is required as it constitutes an ownership document for the seller. That was 1 of 3 trips I had to make to DMV before walking out with tag and title. 2) Any trailer may be titled in SC, if desired though not required.

I wasn't told any of that. Neither the NC tag agency nor the DMV told me I could get away with that process and I spoke to them multiple times. I'm sure I could have gotten those requirements from the dealer and previous owner if I had known it was an option.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update all straight from the NCDMV and in writing. I would think a SC trailer with no VIN# would be the same way.

A NCX number will need to be assigned to the trailer. In order to obtain this number, you will need to visit your local license plate agency. A questionnaire regarding to the trailer will need to be completed. The clerk will notarize this form and then you will be eligible to have the number stamped on the trailer. A member from the highway patrol will also need to sign this form as verification. Once these steps have been completed, you will need to return to the license plate office using the form to title and register the homemade trailer. If you need further assistance, please contact us back.

Homemade is what I have.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
maybe this will help with out of state if you go home made.
Comment History
pixel.gif
Tracking Number:
Unit Name:
XXXXXXXX
pixel.gif

DMV_VR
pixel.gif
Sent By: Xxxx XXXxxxxDate/Time: X/XX/2014
pixel.gif
Comment:
License_Plate_Number:
VIN:
What forms and procedures do i use to make a homemade trailer legal? Needs a VIN#

pixel.gif
pixel.gif
Sent By: Contact Us AdministratorDate/Time: XXXXXXXX
pixel.gif
Comment:
XXXXX,

A NCX number will need to be assigned to the trailer. In order to obtain this number, you will need to visit your local license plate agency. A questionnaire regarding to the trailer will need to be completed. The clerk will notarize this form and then you will be eligible to have the number stamped on the trailer. A member from the highway patrol will also need to sign this form as verification. Once these steps have been completed, you will need to return to the license plate office using the form to title and register the homemade trailer. If you need further assistance, please contact us back.

thanks-
XXXXXX