Looking for versatile boat choice opinions for Texas

thr_wedge

Recruit
New guy here. I grew up in Michigan and NY and I am pretty familiar with small 16' lake boats (bow riders), canoes, row boats, row boats w/ small outboard. I've been living in Texas for the last 9 years, and been going to the Gulf Coast since I moved here. I've chartered a bay fishing guide a few times and it's great, but it's getting closer to having my own boat.

I don't live on the water, and would like a boat that is trailerable.
I have a truck, but it is a 2WD (Expedition EL 131" wheelbase, 5.4L, tow package). Not sure if this is a factor or not? I've never had an issue with 2WD, but I've also never launched into the Gulf either.

I live in Austin: So Lake Travis, Lake Austin, Marble Falls, Georgetown are all within an hour drive. Texas Gulf where I like to go (Port Aransas) is a 4 hour drive. So being able to switch between the lakes and the gulf is important to me.

Activities: My family isn't big on watersports (at least not yet), we like to swim (in the pool), but not so much about swimming in open water. We do love being on the water though, being in the sun, I like fishing and my sons are about ready to start fishing as well.

I'm thinking some sort of center or dual console is the way to go, but I could use some opinions? Not sure how big a boat would be appropriate, single or dual motors, etc.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
For your use, a DC with outboard power would seem to fit. look at Robalo R207, R247 etc, Or Edgewater crossover's 22'-24'.

thr_wedge

Recruit
Should the Expedition be okay launching in the Port Aransas area? I've never launched there so dont know what the ramps are like. thanks!

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lot of choices here. Depends on where you like to fish. Shoalwater and SCB are good choices if you like to fish the skinny water around port A and POC. Then there are the bay boats for deeper water like Robalo et al. That expedition should tow almost anything you would want. 4x4 isnt usually needed, but is nice to have if you want to launch on the beach at lake travis. Dink Pearsons park is a public park and launching into lake travis with a 2wd is very easy there and will save the 80 bucks to launch and retrieve that the marinas are charging to use thier ramps.

thr_wedge

Recruit
Thanks Auger01, that's what I was hoping to hear. Now to somehow put it all together...