Can anybody tell me about Ash Craft

Butter Bean

Seaman
Hello all. new to boating (3 weeks) first boat ever. I bought a 1971? Ash Craft (HULL#) Ser # BRO1631 can anybody tell me anything about this company or this boat? seems allot of company's around the 70s built what looks like the same hull designs?

It is a tri hull and the DNR paper work says its a 1971 and the hull plate says it was built in my home town of Jacksonville, FL. that's all I know so far. Is there any kind of owners manuals on this boat.

I need info on the wiring most of all.the speedometer and tech do not work.

also There is a small hose on the transom (right of the motor), what is that for?

Thanks
Tom
U.S.Army (RET)

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Tom - and thanks for serving!

Here's a little about Ash Craft - http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Ash_Craft

You won't find much in terms of a owner's manual to help you with the hull. The manuals you received with the boat were typically just a couple of notes as to where the glove box was and how not to kill yourself. The manual you want more is the one for your drive/motor. And yes, in the 70's EVERYBODY ... and I do mean EVERYBODY ... made a runabout or tri-hull bow rider. Hull designs were similar or the same, but some were kinda' unique in one way or another.

Wiring for you instruments depends a little on what motor/drive you have. Not sure what the hose is. Got any photo's you can put up?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
That hose is most likely the one for the pitot tube for the speedo. These speedos are pitot type and purely mechanical. When you drive the water pressure into a small tube goes up and that moves the needle in the gauge. Usually inaccurate at best or not functioning at all. The one in my boat never worked right and I don't even attempt to fix it as it most likely would be not functioning after the next trip out.
With a boat that old most likely several previous owners "enhanced" the electrical system and you will find all kinds of sub-standard to criminal modifications.
Most likely you just/also have contact issues. Remove one connector after the other, clean it and then assemble again with dielectric grease. Don't forget the "ground" (negative) side of the system.

The tach has a selector switch on the back. Take note where it is and rotate it around several times. That quite often fixes tach issues.

While you are at it you can also clean up the wiring if required. No wire nuts or other fancy types of connections from the home-DIY category......

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Welcome to iboats! Thank you for your service ;) I retired from active duty in '93 US Army.

Well here is some info.......

They went out of business in 2000

DETAILS FOR MANUFACTURER IDENTIFICATION CODE ASH
MIC:ASHStatus:Inactive
Company:ASHCRAFT BOAT COCompany Official:W A ASHMEAD
Parent Company: Parent MIC:
Address:5800 BEACH BLVD, STE 203-104City:JACKSONVILLE
State:FLZip:32207
Fax: In Business:Wednesday, August 01, 1990
Out of Business:Thursday, October 19, 2000Date Modified:Thursday, October 19, 2000
Type:Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats

Additional Address:
Comments:(TOV) CODE REASSIGNED. 2/89 OOB PER MSO JAC - SEE 'TOV' 8/90 'ASH' ASSIGNED TO ASHCRAFT, AL CORY, FORMALLY 'TOV'. 930831 ADDRESS CHANGE PER MSO JAC, WAS RT 3 BOX 51C, ST. AUGUSTINE FL 32080 (SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED IN 1990). ADDRESS CHANGED AGAIN BETWEEN 1993 AND 2000; WAS 11056 ORANGE CART WAY, JACKSONVILLE 32223, (904) 292-9634. 001019 ASSETS ACQUIRED BY EZ DROOP-N PRODUCTS (EWZ).

What do you have powering that vintage tri-hull?

Butter Bean

Seaman
Welcome to iboats! Thank you for your service ;) I retired from active duty in '93 US Army.

Well here is some info.......

They went out of business in 2000

DETAILS FOR MANUFACTURER IDENTIFICATION CODE ASH
MIC:ASHStatus:Inactive
Company:ASHCRAFT BOAT COCompany Official:W A ASHMEAD
Parent Company: Parent MIC:
Address:5800 BEACH BLVD, STE 203-104City:JACKSONVILLE
State:FLZip:32207
Fax: In Business:Wednesday, August 01, 1990
Out of Business:Thursday, October 19, 2000Date Modified:Thursday, October 19, 2000
Type:Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats

Additional Address:
Comments:(TOV) CODE REASSIGNED. 2/89 OOB PER MSO JAC - SEE 'TOV' 8/90 'ASH' ASSIGNED TO ASHCRAFT, AL CORY, FORMALLY 'TOV'. 930831 ADDRESS CHANGE PER MSO JAC, WAS RT 3 BOX 51C, ST. AUGUSTINE FL 32080 (SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED IN 1990). ADDRESS CHANGED AGAIN BETWEEN 1993 AND 2000; WAS 11056 ORANGE CART WAY, JACKSONVILLE 32223, (904) 292-9634. 001019 ASSETS ACQUIRED BY EZ DROOP-N PRODUCTS (EWZ).

What do you have powering that vintage tri-hull?
great info thanks

It is a 73 65hp evinrude. ser# 65373r not finding allot of info on it as far as a wiring harness or much in wiring at all. im wanting to hook up my battery so it is getting some kind of charge while running. also wanting to try and get tach running and get a volt gauge installed.

Butter Bean

Seaman
That hose is most likely the one for the pitot tube for the speedo. These speedos are pitot type and purely mechanical. When you drive the water pressure into a small tube goes up and that moves the needle in the gauge. Usually inaccurate at best or not functioning at all. The one in my boat never worked right and I don't even attempt to fix it as it most likely would be not functioning after the next trip out.
With a boat that old most likely several previous owners "enhanced" the electrical system and you will find all kinds of sub-standard to criminal modifications.
Most likely you just/also have contact issues. Remove one connector after the other, clean it and then assemble again with dielectric grease. Don't forget the "ground" (negative) side of the system.

The tach has a selector switch on the back. Take note where it is and rotate it around several times. That quite often fixes tach issues.

While you are at it you can also clean up the wiring if required. No wire nuts or other fancy types of connections from the home-DIY category......

got it. plan on doing just that on the wiring. disconnect it all and redo it clean with dielectric grease. I did notice in the left rear or the boat a few wires not connected one is red with a large terminal im guessing it went to the battery at one time.

I see I have allot to do and learn. but I`m just happy I didn't puke my lunch out my first time in the boat on the lake !! so all is good. but I rather jump out of my planes lol

Butter Bean

Seaman

Here's a little about Ash Craft - http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Ash_Craft

You won't find much in terms of a owner's manual to help you with the hull. The manuals you received with the boat were typically just a couple of notes as to where the glove box was and how not to kill yourself. The manual you want more is the one for your drive/motor. And yes, in the 70's EVERYBODY ... and I do mean EVERYBODY ... made a runabout or tri-hull bow rider. Hull designs were similar or the same, but some were kinda' unique in one way or another.

Wiring for you instruments depends a little on what motor/drive you have. Not sure what the hose is. Got any photo's you can put up?

Yea I`ll get some pics up soon.

Butter Bean

Seaman

Thanks for the info looking at it now. good stuff!

Bob_VT

Staff member
great info thanks

It is a 73 65hp evinrude. ser# 65373r not finding allot of info on it as far as a wiring harness or much in wiring at all. im wanting to hook up my battery so it is getting some kind of charge while running. also wanting to try and get tach running and get a volt gauge installed.

Go to shopevinrude.com and there are exploded diagrams and parts listings. 99% of the parts are cheaper aftermarket so do not let prices scare you. If your tachometer works then the battery is charging. There is no need for a volt gauge ;)

ABSOLUTE most important thing is to make sure your impeller is good. An overheated engine will self destruct in a very few minutes. Get the proper manual for your motor and we recommend a true shop manual from https://www.outboardbooks.com/ a bit pricey but worth every penny.

southkogs

Staff member
Oooooohhhh ... electric shift!! I usta' have one of those. That three cylinder power head is awesome. Electric shift lower is a bit finicky, but if it's working you can keep it going.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Oooooohhhh ... electric shift!! I usta' have one of those. That three cylinder power head is awesome. Electric shift lower is a bit finicky, but if it's working you can keep it going.

I don't think the 1973 is electric but the 72 was.................. I just checked the parts diagram