Good Story: So this was fun...

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took the first big trip of the year this past weekend from Green Bay up to Sturgeon Bay in Door Co. WI. The 45 mile trip was pretty rough with 2-4" rollers and 15-20 MPH winds, but we made it to the maria in about 2 and a half hours.

So I get my slip assignment, navigate through the marina, and I'm putting up on the approach to my slip when I realize I'm coming in a tad hot. I was in forward idle, so I pop'er back into neutral to bleed some speed off..
...and nothing happens.
I shift back into forward idle and put it into neutral again, but she's still chugging along at a good pace. Meanwhile, the slip is getting closer. So I throw it into reverse to but the brakes on but the shifter is completely ignoring me. I throw it back into 100% reverse, and from neutral to reverse a few times before I give up, point her nose at the slip and kill the engine.

Luckily I've got a pretty awesome group of slip neighbors that made it to the destination ahead of me, so they caught my boat and we muscled her into the slip without any damage or anyone getting hurt, but man in retrospect that sure could have been ugly...

They're pulling it out of the water today and I should know what the issue was this afternoon or tomorrow, but I thought I'd share my excitement for the weekend!

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The exact moment when you realize you have lost control always sucks! Good thing your neighbors where paying attention and noticed you were in trouble.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We have been from Oconto to Sturgeon Bay a bunch.
Some of the best memories that I will ever have weer made in that area.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Glad to hear you lucked out, most boaters are great people

this weekend my wife of 8 years and new to boating turned to me with a look of realization and said the same thing.

that and apparently boaters drink alot....

rj

Lager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My ex father in law was the Commodore of the local boat club and his big cruiser did the same thing but in fast reverse. Took out a whole section of dock right in front of most of the other members there for a club function. Since he was not well liked, there lots of smirks and smiles in the crowd.

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took the first big trip of the year this past weekend from Green Bay up to Sturgeon Bay in Door Co. WI. The 45 mile trip was pretty rough with 2-4" rollers and 15-20 MPH winds, but we made it to the maria in about 2 and a half hours.

So I get my slip assignment, navigate through the marina, and I'm putting up on the approach to my slip when I realize I'm coming in a tad hot. I was in forward idle, so I pop'er back into neutral to bleed some speed off..
...and nothing happens.
I shift back into forward idle and put it into neutral again, but she's still chugging along at a good pace. Meanwhile, the slip is getting closer. So I throw it into reverse to but the brakes on but the shifter is completely ignoring me. I throw it back into 100% reverse, and from neutral to reverse a few times before I give up, point her nose at the slip and kill the engine.

Luckily I've got a pretty awesome group of slip neighbors that made it to the destination ahead of me, so they caught my boat and we muscled her into the slip without any damage or anyone getting hurt, but man in retrospect that sure could have been ugly...

They're pulling it out of the water today and I should know what the issue was this afternoon or tomorrow, but I thought I'd share my excitement for the weekend!
thats one of the nicest areas in wis. to boat, use to put in at sturgon bay go to washington island than to rock island. over to the U.P. than come back on the green bay side. havent been there in years had a 30 ft sea ray than gas was cheep. now have a rea ray pachanga 22 love to drink gas

agallant80

Commander
Similar thing happened to me last year. A tooth in my Bravo3 upper broke off destroying the clutch. I was going to a slip in a public dock and could not get her out of forward. Only at the last moment was I able to get her in to reverse. Could have been very ugly.

Geko45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glad it turned out ok, that could have been real ugly. I guess that's why they say to never approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had something similar happen to me, except I had throttle only and no gears, on a sailboat, moored right by a large rock outcropping. And I had just pulled anchor.....

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
So it turns out the entire upper of the Bravo3 is junk, and probably has been since I got this boat. Needs to be rebuilt. 'ef.

Cptkid570

Ensign
Upper? I was thinking lower shift cable. What did they say is wrong? Am I correct that you were getting forward gear and neutral, but not reverse?