2002 Chaparral SSE or 2000 Four Winns 210 Horizon

Champkartracer8

Recruit
Hi guys first time boat buyer here. I do have some knowledge of boats but need some help. I have been looking for some time and am down to these two:

2002 Chaparral SSE
  • 5.0L MeriCruis
  • 125hrs
  • Beam
    • 7'4"
  • Length
    • 20'
  • Net Weight (lbs)
2000 Four Winns 210 Horizion
  • 198hrs
  • 5.7L Volvo Penta
  • Beam
    • 8'6"
  • Length
    • 22'
  • Net Weight (lbs)
Both are in good/decent shape. No major issues. The asking price for the Four Winns is $700 more; and the Chaparral does come with a few extras (tube, skis, wakeboard, etc).

I will be using the boat in fresh water only in Texas Lakes. We will be doing some tubing, with some light sking and wakeboarding along with just anchoring up and swimming. I don’t see us crusing anywhere for more than a 20 min ride.

From what I have read, everyone raves about Chaparrals and I have seen positive reviews on most Four Winns as well (just not the same as Chaparrals). But there are a few things I like about the Four Winns. extended swim platform as well as the walkthrough in the sundeck. Probably wanting to takeout around 6-7 people on the boat.

Just wanted to get some opinions on these two models and what everyone thinks. Thanks!

oldjeep

Admiral
The Chaparral will have a better ski wake and the Four Winns will have more interior space. If you plan to take out 6-7 people then the bigger 4 Winns would be a better choice.

MikDee

Banned
I like the Chappy idea better. They are both good boats, but I think the Four Winns has a deeper vee bottom, good for rough water, and bigger wakes, but a bit tippy in turns, and also when some body weight goes to one side. The Four Winns being a bit bigger, and heavier may not be that bad? I think a sea trial should be done to decide.

thumpar

Admiral
The Four Winns. You will not believe how much that wide beam will provide room and better ride. I have the 8'6" beam on mine and could not go back.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I would honestly take the bigger boat, but ultimately I would take the one in the best condition. Sounds like you've found two good choices, so it may be time to let your emotions make your choice

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
IMO the volvo penta is a far superior outdrives as compared to the mercruiser alpha drive.

Champkartracer8

Recruit
Thanks for the input everyone. I am setting up sometime to have sea trials on both but as of now I am leaning towards the four winns. Any other input is still appreciated. Thanks!

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Don't buy the Four Winns, unless it has a new gauge cluster. They came stock in 2000 with the "automotive style" VDO gauge cluster, and they WILL fail. Only recourse is an expensive re-build, or fabricate your own cluster with new Faria gauges, wiring harness, etc.
The Chap is a better choice in this comparison.

rchamberlin

Recruit
Don't buy the Four Winns, unless it has a new gauge cluster. They came stock in 2000 with the "automotive style" VDO gauge cluster, and they WILL fail. Only recourse is an expensive re-build, or fabricate your own cluster with new Faria gauges, wiring harness, etc.
The Chap is a better choice in this comparison.

As a 2000 Four Winns owner the above is true about the VDO gauges. They WILL go bad for sure at some point. However the replacement for when it does finally go runs around $600 or so, depending on where you get the replacement from. Since it's such a common problem there's a chance someone has already replaced it with the Faria gauges. Here's a link to a thread showing someone that recently replaced theirs:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'd like to hear the update too. I will say that you are comparing a Chaparral which was discontinued for the new hull and design the very next year when they almost completely dropped the SSE line for the SS and SSI lines. They retained only the most entry level SSe for 2003 onward. The apples to apples would be 2002 196SSi or the 2003 200SSi. I'm surprised that this particular Chap ever made the cut given the big difference in specs. Chap is nice because among other things, you can get either brand of motor package.