Cops at the dock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
"Anyone else experience something like this at the ramp?"
Nope, never anything even close to that in 23 years of boating. Sound like wrong place wrong time.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
JMO, but I would welcome LEO's presence and enforcement of both traffic and boat ramp etiquette in our areas, especially during peak use.

No offense intended.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I'm with Moose on this one. People tend to straighten up a bit around the law. Might make the boat ramp a little more calm, and friendly. Here in Tn the TWRA patrols our waters, and I have great respect for them. I've had a few run ins with them and they've always been very respectful of me and mine so long as I have shown the same. Even while writing me up. The weekend of the 4rth was pretty hard here on our local lakes. One 14 year old girl lost her life on a jet ski, and two other boaters had bad accidents. TWRA dealt with the aftermath, and I don't want that job.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
No never had a problem like that and never will to tell you the truth. Respect and civility goes a long ways.

JnG said i the best. :thumb:

southkogs

Staff member
... Here in Tn the TWRA patrols our waters, and I have great respect for them. I've had a few run ins with them and they've always been very respectful of me and mine so long as I have shown the same ...
TWRA do seem to be some great guys. I've always had good interactions with them, even when they're checking me out.

Our local sheriff has started doing pass-throughs of the ramp that I use most, and I've seen the rangers a few times on the water and at a couple of other ramps here on the local lake. Always been pretty easy going sorts.

Cops come in a few different flavors. There sure are the over gung-ho bozo's out there who like to shove people around. At the same time, those dudes get stuck in some crazy situations and have to sort out some real nutty circumstances. I don't blame 'em for a bit of paranoia.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i've been in TN for 8 years; never seen one. Tims Ford, Normandy, Nickajack. In AL on Guntersville for 5 years; Never seen one. In MO for 20+ years; never seen one.

On the water different - made friends a few times but never at a ramp and I use mostly public areas.

rj

Last edited:
No never my boat trailer isn't registered (it should be) and I have expired tags but current registration on my boat and the sheriffs at a local lake just wave and ask if we're alright as I'm broken down 90% of the time

Lager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When ever I had to deal with a cop in my younger years, it was always my friends that were with me that made it worse for me also.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
No doubt, LEO's can be blamed for poor conduct in certain instances. However, they deserve a much bigger benefit of the doubt, and a huge amount of gratitude - from all of us. The law and its officers save lives, protect property, and frequently reduce inconvenience created by us numbnuts. Many put themselves in harm's way for public protection. Stupid human behavior >>>>>>> poor police behavior. Lastly, while I try, I'm not free of my own stupidity.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
That would be one tough job, dealing with a boat ;launch on a hot Saturday is not what I'd call career rewarding!! Then to be forced to deal with so many types of people that may or may not know what they are doing. That's a mess before it even starts IMO.
Glad you shared your story, and by the comments included here, you can maybe learn from this how to avoid this kind of mess in the future.

oldjeep

Admiral
Which is still roughly 2 or 3x better usage than the general population!

Depends on where you are. Around here it is pretty rare that folks don't signal, in Florida I'm not even sure that cars come with turn signals.

Villain lll

Cadet
My take on it... If I sell a boat to a new owner and take them out the first time, I drive. I back it down, I unload, I pull it away from the dock and ramp. I don't put anyone in harms way...the new owner or others around trying to do the same thing. If there's something to learn... Take ownership the first day. After that, it's up to the new owner.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry for your frustration and I know first hand how some LEO can be not so nice. But, I would have to agree with others here. You made a some mistakes that day. You brought a new boater pulling a trailer to a busy saturday launch site. Maybe you should have towed the boat for them the first time to show them how it is done. Maybe you should have gone real early in the morning to avoid the crowd. Or brought them there at some off hour and teach them how to launch and retrieve several times. Oh well ...live and learn. Try and forget about the whole thing. Don't let it dwell in your mind. It will keep frustrating you if you keep dwelling on it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The guy just fired off a flame thread and left. He's not been back to this thread since he started it on the 21st. A MOD might want to close it before any more guys show up posting idiotic pics of LEO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.