Michigan Title help.

Mike_Rank

Recruit
I don't know if this goes here, but I got this boat (1984 Marlin I think it has a 2.5 Iron Duke) and the guy I got it from got it from Arizona. I went to get it legal a couple weeks ago and the lady said that he didn't give me a title with it. Come to find out that Arizona doesn't give title's for there boats but he got it legal some how the tag expired March 31st of this year. My question is how do I get either a title for it or is there a way to get a new title.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
AZ doesn't have boat titles but when you register a boat or renew you also get a "release of ownership" and "certificate of number". This has to be filled out and notarized for transfer of ownership (for out-of-State). I don't know about MI but CA, NM and CO I know for sure that they accept it......
For "inside sales" it doesn't even have to be notarized....

If he got it "legal" in MI he sure should have a title for it......

Last edited:
Yep, welcome to the screwed up world of boat ownership..... nearly every state handles boat registration / titles differently. Buying/selling a boat within your state is no problem but going across state borders can get confusing. Add into that a registration or title that hasn't been properly transferred and you can be in for a real headache.

Your best bet is to contact your state DNR/DMV/whomever handles boats in your state and ask them what needs to be done.

thumpar

Admiral
You will need to find out how Arizona releases ownership. I bought a jet ski from Idaho that they don't title. All I needed was a signed over registration to get it titled in Washington.

Just an FYI. The iron duke was never put into a boat. The iron duke was a 151ci. The 2.5l merc is a 153ci and completely different. Hope that help if you need any parts.

southkogs

Staff member
Tennessee doesn't title 'em either, just registration. Weirder yet - we don't even register the trailers, let alone title 'em. We do however have a way through our county clerk to get something (I forget what it's called) that will act as "title" for most other states. But the seller needs to get that ... buyer can't get hold of it.

thumpar

Admiral
See above: "release of ownership" and "certificate of number" you receive with every renewal....
I guess I should have completed my thought on that. The state it is being registered/titled in may require bill of sale or who know what also. It can be a challenge sometimes.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry, I abbreviated it to much. "release of ownership" is actually titled "release of ownership of watercraft - bill of sale". Everything there and if you hand that over (signed) you've lost your boat.
Trailers have a title and the transfer has to be signed and notarized on the backside.

I bought a utility trailer from Oregon where it didn't need a title. They accepted a notarized bill of sale instead of a transferred title.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry, I abbreviated it to much. "release of ownership" is actually titled "release of ownership of watercraft - bill of sale". Everything there and if you hand that over (signed) you've lost your boat.
Trailers have a title and the transfer has to be signed and notarized on the backside.
I bought a utility trailer from Oregon where it didn't need a title. They accepted a notarized bill of sale instead of a transferred title.

That is correct. No titles in AZ on boats. There is just a registreation card with "transfer" instructions on the back side.

The Fish and Game handle registrations in AZ. They are pretty easy to deal with. They may be able to provide a duplicate if you have the registration (hull) numbers.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
To make matters even more confusing, Michigan has tittles for "some" boats and others, just sign the registration over and you're good. My last boat I purchased (in state) did not have a tittle, just a registration. I have another boat with a lost tittle I need to get titled so I'll be watching this thread to see what you discover and then conclude on. Let us know please.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
That is correct. No titles in AZ on boats. There is just a registreation card with "transfer" instructions on the back side.

The Fish and Game handle registrations in AZ. They are pretty easy to deal with. They may be able to provide a duplicate if you have the registration (hull) numbers.

That has changed for the 2013/14 renewals.... It's now all on the front side (not that it matters). The stickers also shrunk significantly and are now metric at 70x70mm. You must have done a 3-year in 2012....

And a big yes to Game & Fish! If all government places would be that easy to deal with you would find strange reasons to go there more often :joyous: I drowned my registration card last season (no longer readable) and went there to get a new one. They just printed a new one and when I asked for the cost the guy said "it's free if you don't come again this year"......

Last edited: