Stopped using wood in new boats?

model14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In general, about what year did boat manufacturers of small fiberglass boats (say < 28 feet) start using composite material in place of wood for transoms, stringers, thwart beams, and other structural components?
I am currently restoring a 25 year old boat. After seeing what is inside the transom and under the floor (very little, it is all rotted away!), my next boat will have a requirement of "no wood, please".
There are a gazilian 20-30 year old boats for sale out there that seem to be a great deal. I suspect most are not! Buyer beware, big time!

wood isn't the problem. How wood was used lead to the problem. When I rebuilt mine I was surprised to find area of wood that never got covered in fiberglass. Large blisters where the fiberglass was not layed correctly and a host of other problems waiting to happen. The move to composites isn't happening because wood is bad, its happening because they can cut corners and increase production for a small increase in cost (plus bragging rights). Its taken a few years but most of the problems with cheap composites have been solved so use what ever material you and your wallet feel happy with.

tpenfield

Staff member
There are a few boats that do not use any wood at all . . . however, many boats use wood still. The main difference today is that many of the better manufacturers are using a pressure treated wood.

Thalasso

Commander
Most boats today still use wood/composite material. Usually above the waterline and decks for strength.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
per the Dusky rep. Your choice for stringers, wood or composite, both guaranteed for life of boat TO ORIGINAL OWNER.

About a grand difference in price on a center console.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Many boat engineers still say that wood is the best choice for stringers and transoms.

Check out all the opinions with google.

And lets not forget what "composite" means.
The most common composite material is plywood.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Many boat engineers still say that wood is the best choice for stringers and transoms.

Check out all the opinions with google.

And lets not forget what "composite" means.
The most common composite material is plywood.

+1...

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Steiger Craft started using fiberglass stringers 1990 and up. Replacing my wood transom this fall, after the Sport Craft is done. Not because it's rotten but because it's wore out. There are some manufacturers out there. It is pretty disappointing when you start tearing into them. People think they can leave these boats outside and open to the elements with the drain plug out.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
wood wrapped in glass is also a composite..... in fact calling a boat made only from duct tape and cardboard an "all composite construction" would be perfectly accurate.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you want a boat guaranteed to not have wood, get a snark sailboat, an aluminum canoe or a blow molded plastic kayak

if you want a power boat without wood at all, there are many now using engineered stringers or stringer tubs. However most of this type of construction is in recent years (past decade)

so if your looking for a restoration boat with no wood, your choice will be limited.

oldjeep

Admiral
Most ski boats haven't had any wood for decades. Malibu stopped using it in 1990. So it is going to vary greatly by the type of boat, and probably the quality of the boat.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 2008 Caravelle 217LS, it has absolutely no wood in it at all, not even in any of the interior pieces, it's entirely made of synthetic composites, and I laugh a little inside every time I wrap my hands around the fake wood trimmed steering wheel and look at the fake wood gauge cluster. lol.