"up" for trim/tilt switch after repairs at boat shop not working 1992 Rinker 181

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"up" for trim/tilt switch after repairs at boat shop not working 1992 Rinker 181

I brought the 18 ft rinker 181 in for extensive repairs to the tune of three thousand dollars--I paid four thousand for the boat 15 years ago.

I had a manifold and riser installed. A shifter cable-- that I supplied. And, my outdrive-- with the trim and tilt stop limit sending switches--which I also supplied.,along with the new bellows which were already on the boat when I brought it to the shop, along with a new water impeller I installed when I changed the lower end oil. They rebuilt the trim cylinders too, instead of replacing them. I was charged fifteen hours labor at 115 an hour plus parts. When I got the boat back I did not go out on it for a month. Now, I was checking the trim "up" and noticed it now only goes up with the trailer button and the down part is working but the "up" is not on the switch. Is this a normal thing to expect of the mechanic when installing the trim switch? is this some shortcut they take? I mean--it works but it aint right and I feel I payed enough that it should be?

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you need to set the trim limit switch. Don't ask me how, but I had to figure mine out myself when the exact same thing happened after I had my sterndrive off. It's no biggie.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you need to set the trim limit switch. Don't ask me how, but I had to figure mine out myself when the exact same thing happened after I had my sterndrive off. It's no biggie.