Dehumidifier for winter storage?

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to be able to store my boat for winter outside, and hook up a small portable electric dehumidifier that I can attach a small hose and drain its water out the drain hole. This is something I've been thinking about, since I don't want have to go out there every few days to pull the cover and dump desicant type dehumifiers if I don't have to.

So, I was looking at the small portables on Amazon, like the Eva-Dry.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Electr...e+dehumidifier

Has anyone used one of these? Can you pull the little water tub off, and use a small tube or hose to drain the water instead?

Last edited:

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Too early for winter storage questions... I have wondered the same thing. But usually a good breathable cover and you are good to go. Would you use a cover with no venting, or block off the vents? Otherwise you would be dehumidifing the entire outside air.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a denier nylon cover that is waterproof, but of course "breathable", and has vents on the back. I could block the vents, to trap the air. That's kind of what I was thinking to keep moisture out. Not sure how effective it would be though. here in the PacNW, it gets very damp in the winter, with a lot of black mold growth on everything.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Are you talking about using the dehumidifier in a cabin cruiser? If so I think it would be fine......... Most dehumidifiers are easily adapted to a continuous drain
but most have a micro switch installed to prevent them from running if the condensate bucket is full or missing, you would have to bypass/fool the switch.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, I have a bowrider. And if I can seal the cover good enough, do you think it would help?

UncleWillie

Captain
No, I have a bowrider. And if I can seal the cover good enough, do you think it would help?

I do not think that you will be able to seal it well enough.
You would need to shrink wrap it and then tape the edges of the shrink to get anything near an airtight seal.

That dehumidifier was meant for a closet, a very small closet, with NO circulation. And it would be marginal at that.
You are much better off covering the boat so no liquid water gets in and making sure it has good ventilation.
Humid air does not cause the mold. Water "sweating" on cold surfaces does.
Adequate ventilation will allow any "Sweat" to evaporate quickly when the temperature rises suddenly.

The small <100 watt heaters made by Carframo will help raise the temperature a few degrees to prevent the sweat.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
a simple 100W light bulb will do a similar job in getting the temperature up a bit. I build a solar powered active venting for my boat (no mains power available) and it works fine as it exchanges the air and prevents it from getting stale. Having the air circulate is more important than to dry it out.
http://www.pinzi.us/boating/Solar-Cover-Vent.pdf

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
How cold of a 'winter' are you talking? If you have a real winter, doesn't pay to dehumidify, there is no humidity to start with!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Winter? Heck, we barely got the ice off the lakes. Talking about the white stuff this early could get a fella banned.......:facepalm::lol:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
A dehumidifier's fan puts out a fair amount of heat..in real winter a wrapped up boat with little venting will cause condensation...no different than a poorly insulated attic..heat against cold equals condensation equals water exactly what you are trying to avoid..

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where I live the winters are not dry. We get tons of rain, and when it does snow, it's usually very wet snow. I suppose maybe a light would help. And also maybe a little mini-fan I can leave running.

Because of the really mild winters, a lot of people don't even bother winterizing, because freezing doesn't usually get below 20F at any time. Only once in a while it gets into the teens. I however, will fill the engine with anti-freeze, because once November hits, there's no way I'll be using the boat until at least late March.

Last edited:

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
the correct way to winterize a raw water cooled engine isn't to fill her with anti-freeze. It won't reach all the little nooks holding water as it will drain before. There are water drains in the manifolds and the block to drain all the water. If it makes you feel better you can fill her first with anti freeze which will run out quick and then drain it with the plugs. Poke into the holes to make sure that nothing clogs them and leave the plugs out during winter.
Remember: air can't freeze, water does.

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Dont bother with a dehumidifier or antifreeze...keep rain out and dry storage is the only sure way to protect from freeze...air dont freeze...lets enjoy the summer first

Maclin

Admiral
Where do you live, and what do other boaters there do if they cannot procure covered storage? Did this boat come from your area?

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in Port Orchard Washington. Right across the Puget sound from Seattle. It does freeze here, but not for very long like it did in Wisconsin where I grew up. I actually don't mind the rainy winters here. I don't have to shovel rain. When we get freezes or snow, it usually only lasts a couple weeks, then all thaws, and back to rain.