At what point do you decide to add a VHF radio to your boat.

Butter Bean

Seaman
I guess it is where you put your boat in most, here up up state Ga/Sc on lake hartwell very few people use VHF a few do on the larger part of the lake I I`m told. But most here use CB radios because there is a ton of cbers on most of the time. and where I boat cell service is poor to nothing. but I have all CB,Ham 2mtrs,cell, and Boaters VHF. and all of this on a 15` tri hull. I`m not into gambling with my family's life for a few bucks I have less than 250 bucks in all the radios and antennas.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I recently has a Sheriffs inspection. He saw my VHF and said; "what's that"? He had never seen or heard of one. Very comforting.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Lots of non-DSC radios around, and way to many DSCs that have no position information available for transmit or receive. Not everyone jumps on the latest and greatest, even when maybe they should, but that's the boating world we inhabit ... :rolleyes:

Yep, better spend $1500 on a new fishing rod than $150 on a new VHF...... And then those who never connect it to GPS or enter an MMSI. Well, the search costs tax-money only.