Boat just sank. What to do when it is out of water?

Hawkis98

Cadet
Can I suggest investing in a high powered bilge pump with a float switch, before the stereo and whatnot gets replaced. Try to keep it from happening again.
I've got a cheap one from my local shop installed. I'll install a new bilge pump for sure. Anyone have any recommendations? Don't know which ones are good or bad.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with that little freeboard, get the biggest pump you can. I suggest 1000 GPH or larger

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Yea understanding why this occurred and what to fix so it wont happen again would be really tops on my list. Most boats have weight restriction tag, usually on the ransom here in the US, but I'm sure you don't want to go through this again. What kind of cost was it to raise the boat and get it squared back around to running order?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Carp, I'm hoping it's still got some water in it, in this pix:
fetchid8130421_zpse7c5696f.jpg

Because it looks to be sitting REALLY low in the water.

If it is truly meant to sit that low w/ so little freeboard AND that big of an OB hanging off the back, I don't think I'd slip the boat EVER, 1500GPM bilge pump or not.

On a lift or out of the water only, IMO

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's still got water weight aboard. The entire exhaust leg is underwater.... So the motor's way to deep for a boat as shallow as it appears in that pix ^^^

In fact, I think you can still see standing water in the splashwell.

Last edited:

Hawkis98

Cadet
Is the rule mate RM2000 any good? 2000 GPH and automatic bilge pump. Found a decent price on ebay.
For those who are wondering the boat rescue was pretty much free. The insurance covered that. The engine was not covered, don't know what the price is for that yet. Anyways; any one with experience with this pump?

Hawkis98

Cadet
Quick update: Ordered the pump above. Shopped cables and ready to completely rewire everything. Best of all; the gps still works :joyous: So does the SD card with the map on it. The stereo and gauges are still in rice, looking into them tomorrow.

Hawkis98

Cadet
Stereo player, fuel and tilt gauges also works.The switcherplanel, speakers and tachometer did not work. Thanks for all the help iBoaters! :)

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
Carp, I'm hoping it's still got some water in it, in this pix:
fetchid8130421_zpse7c5696f.jpg

Because it looks to be sitting REALLY low in the water.

If it is truly meant to sit that low w/ so little freeboard AND that big of an OB hanging off the back, I don't think I'd slip the boat EVER, 1500GPM bilge pump or not.

On a lift or out of the water only, IMO

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's still got water weight aboard. The entire exhaust leg is underwater.... So the motor's way to deep for a boat as shallow as it appears in that pix ^^^

In fact, I think you can still see standing water in the splashwell.

Look at this video on You Tube and go to 3:14 stop and look at the transom. Your boat is on the verge of sinking! Hope you address this issue and quit worrying about the stereo!:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsE_1U8ehVY

Last edited:

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
There's still some water in the boat in that picture. The boat is out of the water so that's why I'm focusing on the electronics first. :kiss:

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that!! Just trying to give a :bump: in the right direction.

agallant80

Commander
Sink it someplace else and tell the insurance company it was stolen. Or put it on craigslist, don't forget to mention that it has been recently washed in every nook and cranny and the carbon has been cleaned off of the engine. Searousely though, that thing is going to be such a nightmare with gremlins living in every system, I would just dump it and start over.

Hawkis98

Cadet
The boat is going to be parked with the bow facing outwards. That way waves won't get in the splashwell. There will also be a steel wire rope (Something along those lines, don't know what it is called.) going between the engine and the engine mount. That way if it does try to sink again it will stay at the dock. There was 40 liters, about 40 kilos of water left in the boat which I emptied. The 70l tank is being mounted as far up as it can go in the boat. When it's full it weighs about 50 kilos.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
There will also be a steel wire rope (Something along those lines, don't know what it is called.) going between the engine and the engine mount. That way if it does try to sink again it will stay at the dock.

Can you explain this a little more. not sure how a cable going between the engine and the engine mount is going to stop boat from sinking.:confused:

Hawkis98

Cadet
Can you explain this a little more. not sure how a cable going between the engine and the engine mount is going to stop boat from sinking.:confused:
That was really bad formulated, sorry. I'll snap a picture or two tomorrow to illustrate better.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Boat owners that have boats powered by outboards before a certain date (2000?) when they started putting 4 stroke outboards on boats. And the old boats we're rated for 2-stroke outboards. My tin boat is rated up to 18hp, it's has a 2 stroke nissan on it. The new 4-stroke nissan/tohatsu outboards weigh twice as much as mine. I favor 2-strokes outboards cause of the simplicity ,less maintenance, & light weight. Good luck with your boat. I would get rid of the current motor and either downgrade the hp or switch back to a two stroke. It's up to you. Also, get two bilge pumps instead of a single one. Twice the pumping power and if one fails theirs a backup. Good luck!

Hawkis98

Cadet
Bilge pump has arrived. Took out the old one and found out the water hose was too small for the new pump. I didn't have fuse holder either.
So I started working on the wiring and I was wondering what this one thing was. It's inside a box and has a + and a - side. There are loads of wires coming into it. Mainly from the back of the boat. Both positive and negative cables go in it, like from the bilge pump, switch panel, navigation lights, gps etc. Basically, pretty much every negative and positive wire goes through it. There's also two wires hooked up to the positive and negative side of the battery. The cables that come out from the box is used for ground for gauges and the positives are hooked up to the switch panel. Is this some kind of fuse box with loads of fuses? I don't understand how to wire it.
What is this called, and is it necessary?

Hawkis98

Cadet
The boat has been on the water for a month – month and a half. It’s working great now! I moved the fuel tank to the front of the boat, and it lies a lot better in the water.

This is what has been done since I bought the boat in August of 2013: (Done in winter 2013-2014.)
- Seats replaced.
- New gauges.
- Sides and dashboard changed from white to blue leather. Also put GPS in dashboard.
- Entire engine painted. Bought new decals and installed them. (This is the Johnson engine I initially had on it. Too bad it doesn’t work atm. Will try to fix it.)
- Floor extended all the way to the bow and put carpet in.
- New tarp. (Don’t know what it is called but somewhat like a tarp.)

*Boat launced into water. Engine stops working after one week.*

After the Johnson engine stopped working: (Done summer 2014)
- New engine.
- New hydraulic steering.
- Some new gauges.

*Boat on water again. Again, after one week it nearly sinks.*

This is what has been done since I got the boat out of the water: (Done in summer 2014)
- Boat towed to where mechanics could save the engine.
- All electronics rinsed and dried in rice for 5-7 days.
- New 2000 GPH bilge pump with automatic float switch.
- Rewired everything. Soldered, used heat shrink and plasti dip.
- Install working and new electronics. (Had to buy a new switch panel and navigation lights. Also need new speakers.)
- Fuel tank was moved up to the front of the boat. Installed vents. Strapped in place.
- Old holes from fuel tank filled. (Still need to paint with gelcoat.)
- Entire boat cleaned well.

Finally on water again. Been on the water for month - month and a half. Will enjoy the rest of the season now…Finally.

roffey

Commander
Great to hear the boat is working out for you, what part of the world are you from? Where do you boat?

Hawkis98

Cadet
Great to hear the boat is working out for you, what part of the world are you from? Where do you boat?
I live in Norway. We have a cottage about 1 hour from where I live. That's where I drive my boat. I live in the south of Norway. It's right by the ocean so I often drive to other cities with my friends. Also, noticed this thread pretty much has no pictures in it at all. I'll upload some soon.