Tablet at control/guages for boat

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I learned something interesting about the nexus 7 this weekend. You cannot see the screen in landscape mode if you are wearing polarized glasses. The screen is polarized and when it is in landcape mode it is 90 degrees from the orientation of polarized sunglasses which blocks all light from the screen to your eyes. Not a show stopper but you either have to keep the tablet in portrait mode or take of your sunglasses.

The tablet ran every navigation app that I tried very well. It recovered from sleep mode without losing the gps location which was a big problem with the acer tablet that I had tried out. I could read the screen in direct sunlight although it was much better with shade or held at particular angles. I have yet to find a waterproof case build specifically for it (lifeproof and otterbox don't make cases for it) but you can use a universal tablet dry case/sleeve for it. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do case wise yet so I just used a zip lock and it was fine. The nexus can be charged with a wireless inductive charger so you could do something cool with a dashmount and keep the unit sealed and charged. I will be playing around with using it for navigation and stereo but would never use it to replace my analog guages.