Slick Craft

Recently bought a Slick Craft. I'm a glastron guy and don't know too much about the boat besides what ive found on the web. Any pros or cons about the 1976 SS195 inboard with a 190 OMC on the stern. It's a very clean boat. any comments?

Thanks and enjoy !!!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Googled it myself to see what it was too........ condition, condition, condition....says it all about any boat... OMC parts are avail... no reason to think it's a bad buy.. enjoy

southkogs

Staff member
'76 OMC was an electric shift model stern drive. Welcome to the "I have an electric shift Stringer" support group ;)

If the boat is in good condition, and the drive is working fine it'll be a nice setup. I actually like mine. However, the Stringer will require some attention (it likes to be loved on) and you may have trouble with some parts and finding a mechanic to work on it for you. I typically don't recommend buying 'em without understanding what you're getting yourself into.

That all said - I like the way the electric shift delivers power; it's a quiet drive and turns really tight when you're close in for docking. Keep on top of it and there's no reason it can't run for a long time.

Gentlemen, can you school me on the trim and tilt on the OMC? i see how the trim is working but i have no tilt. any help would be great. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Gentlemen, can you school me on the trim and tilt on the OMC? i see how the trim is working but i have no tilt. any help would be great. Thanks

Ayuh,.... You'll have the Best luck with that question, posted in the OMC I/O forum,...

Look down lower on the main forum page,...

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ What Bondo said, but let's give ya' a push too:

Tilt on a Stringer is an electric motor that drives a gear and clutch pack on the intermediate housing (part that passes through the big ole' rubber boot). You can find it easiest by locating the the apparatus that isn't working when you really want it to :) The motor is on the inside of the transom, port side (right looking at the engine from the front of the boat). If you're hitting the switch, hearing the solenoid click and then nothing happens - it's likely that that motor is not working and needs rebuilt (or replaced).

Trim is a whole different ball of string. You may have a hydraulic system or a mechanical (like mine). Again, it's easy to locate in that it's a very similar motor to the other one that isn't working ;) The mechanical system is located on the front engine mount, the hydraulic is typically on the side (I think).

Tilt is strictly for getting your drive up for trailering. You don't want to run the engine with the drive up over about 700 RPM (essentially making steerage in shallow water if you have to). Underway, you want to have your drive tilted full down.

Trim is how you adjust the attitude of the engine against the boat thus affecting how your boat runs across the water. You can trim anyway you want at any speed - it's designed to handle it.

When you post about fixin' 'em, make sure you let us know what it is and isn't doing and if you've got a good manual to help ya' through it.