Fueling boat at the dock

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
My boat is an 18' bow rider. Any good ideas for fueling when docked in a slip? Not wanting to pay crazy prices at the lake marinas, I''ve tried using regular gas containers, but it's a big hassle. I have seen on Amazon the flow n go siphon pump that connects to your gas containers, but there were many bad reviews.

oldjeep

Admiral
Gas caddy sucks unless you have all day. Ours is relegated to filling sleds.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
I have yet to go to a marina in Ontario that will allow refueling a boat from portable gas cans, Not only their insurance won't allow it, you wouldn't believe the fine for spilled fuel.

Unless this is at your own private dock, best to check the regulations.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Jiggler is amazingly easy and quick. You can drain a 5-gallon can in just 2-3 minutes and not spill a single drop. When we boat at our cabin, all the fuel has to be hauled in via cans. The Jiggler makes it very easy to refuel, and in an environmentally friendly way.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In most marina's around my area it's not allowed, written into the contract. On a previous boat that only had a 20 gal main I installed a 3-way valve with a standard portable tank fitting on one inlet. I then carried a 6 gallon approved outboard tank w/hose that matched the fitting. Started out on the portable tank and when or if it ran near empty I switched the valve to main tank. Thinking 6 gallons will not be much for your 18 ft bowrider, guessing less than an hours worth. This will only work if your engine is an outboard and connections are above deck.. and you have room and want to carry an extra tank back there.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
It is some what hard to say, If your boat is kept on a slip then buying your fuel helps support the mania. Here in WV it is strictly against the state laws to fuel any where but the dock pump due to insurance and DNR and EPA laws, and I suspect thats the case other wise you would be fueling at a gas station, If its on your private slip then your assuming full responsibility

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Keep in mind that it is not really the marina that is gouging you it is your states marine fuel tax. When marinas sell fuel the state adds a tax onto each gallon that is supposed to go towards marine related projects in your state. Without the marine fuels tax, other taxes may be raised if you want quality launch ramps and fishing areas. I know it is tough to have to spend the extra bucks on fuel but at least you do get a little something back in the long run. When you fill at an auto service station your taxes go for roads and nothing toward marine projects. Also keep in mind that marina's have to go thru a lot more extensive safety measures when storing fuel near water just for your convenience and these added safety measures are not cheap. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet so to speak to make our hobbies more enjoyable and convenient, no one said boating is a cheap hobby.

tpenfield

Staff member
I did a fair amount of re-fueling out at my mooring last year. I think in total, I did 100 gallons from 5 gallon containers. I did not have a good way to do it, other than use a funnel and other precautions to prevent spills.

The biggest problem that I have found is that the pour spouts that come with the 5 gallon cans are pretty much useless. I have several type of pour spouts from all of the various gas containes and have only found 1 that does a decent job, but it takes forever.

As mentioned, lots of marinas have rules against alternative methods of refueling. In my search last year, which I posted here on iBoats, I found nothing in terms of laws and regulations at my state (MA) and federal levels that prevent you from re-fueling from cans. Just not 'legal' to spill it. :rolleyes:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Do a google search for racing fuel jug, or VP fuel jug.........I have several from when we raced motorcycles they are by far the best portable fuel can you can buy

I use mine to refill everything...... the long vinyl hose makes filling very easy.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Jiggler is amazingly easy and quick. You can drain a 5-gallon can in just 2-3 minutes and not spill a single drop. When we boat at our cabin, all the fuel has to be hauled in via cans. The Jiggler makes it very easy to refuel, and in an environmentally friendly way.

5 gallons... 2-3 minutes.. UGH, does not compute. Who wants to waste 30 minutes filling up a 50 gallon tank when it should only take 2-3 minutes tops.

oldjeep

Admiral
5 gallons... 2-3 minutes.. UGH, does not compute. Who wants to waste 30 minutes filling up a 50 gallon tank when it should only take 2-3 minutes tops.

2-3 minutes? I can't fill the 25 gal in my truck that fast.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

It beats the alternative... trying to hold a 5-gallon jug over the back of the boat without spilling any fuel. Not to mention holding TEN five gallon jugs. No thanks.

I need to fuel my truck where you go. Where can you get 50 gallons into a tank in 2-3 minutes. Indy car pitstop maybe? ;)

At my marina, the fuel price is 3 cents/L (11 cents a gallon) more than if I brought gas from town.

On my 18' Bayliner, even from full empty, the difference would work out to like $3.30 per fill. A couple of points about this:
- My time is worth $3.30 not to have to pi$$ around with jerry cans
- Spilling fuel in a vehicle is possible, and even a few drops stink like heck for a few days
- The folks who run the marina check moorings during storms, sell me overpriced Pepsi and jerky, and are genuinely good folks. I like having their business there, and $3.30/tank is worth it to me

With how expensive this hobby is to start with, why would someone cut out giving business to the (usually) local small businessman?

Like the Brits say, "Penny-wise, pound-foolish"

haulnazz15

Captain
At my marina, the fuel price is 3 cents/L (11 cents a gallon) more than if I brought gas from town.

On my 18' Bayliner, even from full empty, the difference would work out to like $3.30 per fill. A couple of points about this:
- Spilling fuel in a vehicle is possible, and even a few drops stink like heck for a few days
- The folks who run the marina check moorings during storms, sell me overpriced Pepsi and jerky, and are genuinely good folks. I like having their business there, and $3.30/tank is worth it to me

With how expensive this hobby is to start with, why would someone cut out giving business to the (usually) local small businessman?

Not always the case here in the US. I've seen the cost closer to $1+ per gallon more. $25+ is a large premium to pay every time you need to fill up.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

good points.

if your marina was only $3.30 more rather than $$30-5 (or up to $250 onl our last boat). One of the reasons we went back to a trailer boat - only problem is on the lake we visit mostly now we can not get real gas. I have to do that on land. Good thing we typically don't have to fuel up too often while on the water

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
For us... The price difference is about 80 cents per gallon between road and marine gas.

If my pontoon is on the trailer I will take it to store and fuel it up. If its in the water, I go to the marina an buy it. As stated, a full tank will result in about $20.00 difference. I don't care to load haul it 4 miles each way and re-launch for $20.00.

My take is that both the marina and the local gas station need the business. We are in a Rural area on the river and both are small business folks that are nice, friendly, and convenient. I pay more for that and don't mind doing so.

But to answer your question... Im thinking the Jiggle Siphon would be the ticket for your query.

oldjeep

Admiral

Around here is is more like $1 a gallon and marina gas is notorious for having water in it. On the rare occasion that my boat is sitting in a body of water for a week, I much prefer gas cans to gas at some random little fuel dock.