New boat purchase pending and need advice!

03eunos

Recruit
I'm new to the forum and have some questions about the purchase of a new family boat in the 22-23 foot range for a family of 5 including three teenagers. I've been on many car forums and know not to ask too many questions before reading posts, but I would like to narrow down some boat choices for my more in-depth searching.

I am new to boat ownership, but spent many days on the water with family and friends in a range of brands, lengths and types. We live on the Island of Newfoundland in Eastern Canada (North Atlantic) where we see 10-20 knot winds and 1-2 metre seas on a regular basis. We also have very calm waters in and around the many bays dotting our coastline so most of our time will be less than 5 miles offshore.

We have been looking at bowriders and deckboats (not interested in express cruiser or cuddy) in the 22-23 foot range as they look to be able to carry our family of five and a few friends for the kids. Our boating season would run May/June to Sept/Oct and I would anticipate mostly weekend use and a scattered run during the week so we would like something that can be trailered/launched fairly easily.

Is there a particular design (or brand) of family boat would be best for mostly choppy saltwater seas (75% time) and also some freshwater lake activities (25% time). Can a larger bowrider handle saltwater ocean use based on the sea state and distances from shore I mentioned above? We are looking for a well-built, solid boat for long-term ownership and have read some reviews about models with cheaper, noisy hulls (i.e. Bayliner). I have done some research on engine types and am leaning towards a 4-stroke outboard for quietness, ease of maintenance and fuel efficency.

I know many forum members have owned and operated many types of boats and I am hoping their knowledge and advice can help me in my search. We are driving to New England for a family vacation in mid August and plan to look at purchasing on that trip along the way (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI) and will even venture into Ontario or Quebec for the right boat and deal. We have limited purchase options here (Bayliner 175-185) and new BRP powered jetboats from Scarab.

We would prefer a new model as our bank will allow a longer term payout and I feel more comfortable not having the worry of issues related to buying used.

Any advice and opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Your budget would be helpful. I think you are on the right track with OB power. Depending on your budget, look at a Dual Console boat. Like Edgewater,Scout,Robalo etc. Good seaworthiness, space for your family and gear, and OB powered.

southkogs

Staff member
Yes ^^^^ dual console is exactly what I would recommend for you. You may even want to go up a foot or two in size.

tpenfield

Staff member
I consider dual consoles to be the 'saltwater version of a bowrider' , which sounds like it would be perfect for this situation. There are some older dual consoles in the size range that you indicated. Lately larger DC's have been introduced, but that gets you into bigger money.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
We live on the Island of Newfoundland in Eastern Canada (North Atlantic) where we see 10-20 knot winds and 1-2 metre seas on a regular basis.

We have been looking at bowriders and deckboats (not interested in express cruiser or cuddy) in the 22-23 foot range as they look to be able to carry our family of five and a few friends for the kids.

Is there a particular design (or brand) of family boat would be best for mostly choppy saltwater seas (75% time) and also some freshwater lake activities (25% time). Can a larger bowrider handle saltwater ocean use based on the sea state and distances from shore I mentioned above?

Honestly those are the two WORST boats to have in those conditions! Self bailing center console or as tp mentioned a dual console. (there is a fuzzy gray line between bowrider and dual console, but i agree, its the saltwater version of a bowrider... Much deeper hull, higher gunwales, higher transom, flared bow, etc...)

03eunos

Recruit
Thanks for the quick replies!

I checked the link to the 247 and what a beautiful boat that seems to meet our requirements. I see how the higher lines could really be better in the choppy water. My only concern would be price as we have been looking at about a $40000 CDN budget ($~38000 USD).

I mentioned bowriders and deck boats in my post simply because that's what we see mostly in our location and are also in our price range. There are getting to be more and more walkaround "fishing" types boats like Stryper, Sea Fox, etc. that are being brought up from the States, but I'm nervous about buying used on my own to get to the pricepoint we are able to handle.

Are there any "entry level" brands for the dual console that you recommend? We have several local boat brokers that bring boats up from States and you can provide info on type/brand wanted and they check American auctions and the like.

I appreciate the feedback and now have a good idea that we can get the "bowrider" feel in the dual console boats.

Much appreciated!

Jeff

southkogs

Staff member
ignorance here. How is a dual console anything other than a bowrider?
Typically a little better bow rake, deeper V, more freeboard and a self bailing cockpit ... for starters. They're more utility like a center console.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
No Title

ignorance here. How is a dual console anything other than a bowrider?

more or less ocean worthiness. Higher sides and transom, self bailing. Less furniture. Windshields that won't shatter if you do stuff the bow.

Attachments

• photo203173.jpg
    photo203173.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo203174.jpg
    photo203174.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
$38,000 US = Used. At least in a DC boat. Even most new 22-24' bowriders start at $40K plus.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
those are a bit different, more like a bass boat and would not be standard Plexiglass but a Lexan or similar. Plex is too brittle for that application. Typically framed are tempered, which is strongest type of glass. (former glassman here)

Slip Away

Lieutenant
000a.jpg Agreed, the "Dual Console" monicker is pretty much spread between several styles of boats. Some bass boats with Plexi windshields are marketed as a DC. Even the boat above from NauticStar is a deckboat but with model number 243DC

Last edited:

03eunos

Recruit
Almost immediately after the Robola boat recommendation was posted earlier in this post, I searched our local used boat classifieds and found a new link from one of our local boat brokers for a 2013 Robalo R207 with tow bar and Yamaha 200F 4 stroke for $39,000 CDN ($36312 USD) with 39 hours use. The boat just arrived from New Hampshire today and I just dropped out to have a look at the local marina and it's in great shape and a beautiful boat. I really liked the interior blue lights and the build quality. It has the optional porta potty and Garmin chartplotter, but couldn't see the model number.

Just wondering your thoughts on whether this is a good deal or at least comparable to what would be offered elsewhere in Canada and US taking into account our ferry/tramsport fees would be about $2000-3000 for delivery.

All advice is appreciated!

Slip Away

Lieutenant
That is a great boat, and a good enough price IMO to jump on it. Only consideration if 20' is large enough for your family and area of use.
A couple of old boat words of wisdom I have learned over the years:
1: Don't buy the first boat you look at
2. Buy your 2nd boat first, cause you usually wish you had bought a bigger boat the first time.