Fuel Treatment and Storage

PlanB

Seaman Apprentice
I have a two 100 gal. gas tanks on my 4 year old houseboat. I usually at the end of each season top off each tank and add enough Stabil to treat the amount of the final top off. I did this in the fall of 2002. The river conditions were so terrible in 2003 I didn't use enough fuel to warrant getting any fuel. I have not fueled up this season yet and still have about 100gals. of fuel that was treated in the fall of 2002. <br /><br />I was hoping to use most of the old fuel this season but that didn't happen, so I have fuel that has been treated but is at least 2 years old. Should I continue as I have and top off with another 100 gals and add Stabil for that amount or does someone have some other suggestions?

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel Treatment and Storage

Fuel is getting pretty old. Is it diesel or gas? If its gas, smell it. Does it still smell like gas or does it have a strange smell.<br /> Do a search on "Gas". I saw in a post somewhere that gas starts losing its octane after 6 mo.<br /> If it were me I'd dump it. Just my opinion though.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another idea, if possible... is to drain fuel out your boat and use it your car.A pain in the a.. but that way your not wasting it and you will have one less thing to worry about come the spring.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jim - Using it in your car might be OK if it is strait gas. I don't know if I would want to run pre mix through a fairly new car with all of the computers they stuff in them today.

PlanB

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by RedRangerVIP:<br /> Fuel is getting pretty old. Is it diesel or gas? If its gas, smell it. Does it still smell like gas or does it have a strange smell.<br /> Do a search on "Gas". I saw in a post somewhere that gas starts losing its octane after 6 mo.<br /> If it were me I'd dump it. Just my opinion though.
It is gas, twin Merc. 5.0L EFI - gas smells ok just concerned. Plus how do you "dump" 100 gas of gas (legally)?