Stiff steering and throttle

Falmund

Cadet
Well, I finally got my boat out on the water for the first time. Both the steering and the throttle are very stiff, but they are uniformly stiff. I spent 8 years working on helicopters, and our controls had an adjustable friction. Is it common for boats to have something similar? I disconnected the steering tube from the engine steering arm. The engine turns smoothly, but I still had a difficult time turning the wheel. I am really hoping it's not the cables, as I can't afford that at the moment. I'm really hoping it is something simple. Oh, the boat is a 1972 Winner Bimini, with a 1988 Evinrude 90hp VRO. Any ideas?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
the cables (at least the older ones) can and have to be cleaned and greased/oiled once in a while. Unfortunately at that age they may even be due for a replacement.
have you looked into the helm steering assembly and the rear of the throttle lever? There's grease in both and if that's old it will also stiffen everything. I have seen grease in older and poorly maintained boats which felt more like glue than grease.....

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If the cables are 42 years old your going to be replacing them after being towed in off the lake, it's best to do it before that happens. I would replace the shift cable too.

Falmund

Cadet
Update: Sorry guys, I was laid up with a broken kneecap for 6 weeks, haven't had time to even look at the boat. So, my plan of attach, for the moment, is to remove the cables and get a good look at what I've got. I don't know if they've ever been replaced (not really sure how to tell, lol), but if I get them out, I can find out a whole lot more. I will let you know what I find. The last thing I want to do is paddle to shore!

sorry to hear about your knee. On the controller theres a black knob under the fast idle lever that can be twisted to increase or decrease the friction on the throttle (most people run them tight so the throttle stays where its set). As you are new to boating it might be worth asking someone else to have a go to see what they think. The steering may seem stiff and notchy (notchy may not be the right word....steering wondering) at no wake speed and heavy at plane speed if the motor is not trimmed correctly. Out of the water the steering may seem heavy but you shouldn't have to force the wheel to make the motor turn.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The steering rod that passes thru the tilt tube of the motor can and does get dirty. Try to clean it, and it may help. Turn the wheel so the max steering rod is exposed. Wipe down with solvent and cycle thru it's travel. Repeat until she moves easily, then regrease. The cables may get better with grease as well. Good luck, a you will need it.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm the new owner of my grandfather's 69 Silverline. As a kid, I remembered that boat having stiff steering and he was always lubing the cables. Now that he's passed, my grandmother gave the boat to me. She said that he had just installed a new steering cable system prior to putting it in storage 5yrs ago. Ran it on the lake 2 days ago and that was the first time its seen the sun in 5yrs. To me, the steering is still stiff.

Is is possible to remove the cables from behind the dash to determine the ease of the steering unloaded, or would it be easier to disconnect the steering from the outboard? Either way, I'm sure there is a few grease zerks somewhere in the system.