Looking for information about my Thundercraft Malibu (1987)

pjhealy

Recruit
Hi,

Last fall I bought my first boat - a 1987 Thundercraft Malibu. It's been a joy so far, but like most boat owners, I need to do some repairs. I have the manual on the Mercruiser Engine and out drive, but I have no documentation on the hull. My first burning question is: "How big is my fuel tank?" The gas gauge is currently inoperable, so I'm always worried I'll be without fuel. (That's one of the reasons I've avoided the Niagara River...

Any guesses on it's size? Also, with regard to repairing the fuel gauge - What would be the best way to attack determining if the fuel gauge is bad or the sending unit?

Any suggestions on where to get the hull manual would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pat

Hi. Your Thundercraft was made in Quebec. The company ran into financial trouble and was bought by Cadorette, who also then failed in the recession in the early 90's. The owners manual did not cover such things as fuel tank size - I have the original manuals for my Cadorette and there is NO useful information in them!
Best way to find out fuel tank size is to drain it, and then fill it up.

Re testing the fuel gauge, check this link.

http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/troubleshooting-those-pesky-marine-gauges-124/

I found the specs ( including fuel capacity ) for my Cadorette in the company's brochure for 1988. There is an internet site called boatingwithdawsons.com which claims to have brochures for Thundercraft boats for many years, including 1987. Maybe worth a try ( but does cost $25 ).

pjhealy

Recruit
Thanks to all - looks like the drain and fill method will be my only choice... I'll try and see if they have my brochure...

Not sure if this will help you or not but I have an 87 Thundercraft Citation 17' and it has the tank in the front and it is 18 gal. In an old flyer that I have it also shows a 16 ft.Thundercraft Regency and it has a 20 gal. tank. Both of these are outboards.

I also have the color brochures for the 87 Thundercafts that include the 19ft. Malibu but it does not give the fuel tank amounts.

Last edited:
Hi. Your Thundercraft was made in Quebec. The company ran into financial trouble and was bought by Cadorette, who also then failed in the recession in the early 90's. The owners manual did not cover such things as fuel tank size - I have the original manuals for my Cadorette and there is NO useful information in them!
Best way to find out fuel tank size is to drain it, and then fill it up.

Re testing the fuel gauge, check this link.

http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/troubleshooting-those-pesky-marine-gauges-124/

From the Thundercraft brochure that I have it says that Thundercraft was in Knoxsville, Tennessee.