Questions about entering a foreign country by boat?

jh102499

Recruit
When entering a country where port information is limited how do you know whether this port has a customs office? Dow all relatively large ports have a customs office. And is it logical or ok to sail a ship, let's say 100ft long into a very large shipping port. These may be really stupid questions to you guys but I am a newbie. Sorry.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I think you are extremely wise to ask this question BEFORE you attempt it. Surely www can help you or show you where you can be directed to the right person.

Mark

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Living in Metro Detroit we boat on waters that have shared international areas borders. There is a protocol to enter Canada, and the details are available by contacting the customs offices. There are many rules, that's why I just stay in the US side, but if you drop anchor in Canadian waters there is certain stuff you have to do and forms that need to be filled out. None of it is difficult, but you would be wise to learn about what ever area you plan to visit to avoid problems.

agallant80

Commander
Where are you going? You need to fly quarantine flag until you clear customs. Most ports that you can get to from the US will have a customs patrol. Also you may need to fill out the paperwork before hand, have your passports, declare any guns and ammo etc. It will be different port by port.

jh102499

Recruit
The ports I am aiming for are North Eastern Russia, (the large peninsula that I forgot the name of) To South Korea, then to China. I know China is not a good country for boating but that is where I am going to be headed. The only marina I know of in china Is in Qingdao but that is a bit off track. I am rather unexpiericed and this trip will not be taken for a couple years. So really what I am wondering is will just about any of the major ports in this are have a customs office at the port?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm thinking you need to hire someone who has been there, done that. If you have to ask about just sailing into a Russian port, you need assistance. Oh, and South Korean will fire on unidentified vessels, sometimes with few questions asked. And who knows what those crazy bastards will do in China ... :eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You probably are the ONLY person on here who has attempted that type of crossing! Everyone else is speaking from experience in the bahamas, mexico, or canada. Your situation is ENTIRELY different! Good luck, sounds like an adventure!

jh102499

Recruit
Wow, why do countries in the eastern hemisphere have such confusing regulations, maybe I will call the embassy or something.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow, why do countries in the eastern hemisphere have such confusing regulations, maybe I will call the embassy or something.

I think that is a good idea.

I'm not sure I would enter those countries through a major airport, much less by private boat.