The best material known to man for a trailering cover!

T-290

Seaman
I've asked a bunch of people and have gotten a ton of answers! I need to know from experienced boaters that do extensive trailering, what is the best material available on todays market that will hold up to the wear and tear,and stand up to the test of time to the elements and the open road!! Manufacturer's trade names of the product would be helpfull not slick Willys top shops slang discriptions......T-290

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: The best material known to man for a trailering cover!

well I found that the only thing that really truly stands the test of time on a boat trailer is a good wire brush and some spray paint to cover the use to be rust spot...... This isn't what you want to here.. but I figure as long as you care for whatever traler you have/want, you can make it last for as long as you want.

frroog

Seaman

Lepper I think he was talking about cover for the boat not the trailer. I use an old amry canvas tarp that I picked up at a surplus store and had a friend fit it this was 10 years ago and still using the same one. A good sillcone spary to seal it ever year before winter

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If you store it outside in the weather and sun canvas will last two years at best.
SunBrella will last about 8 years it has something to protect it form the sharp things on the boat,
like the top of windows or cleats. They usually use marine vinal.

Newhook

Seaman

The local sail repair shop here recommends that black material used in swales for road construction. It's really cheap and tough.They will do canvas or anything else but the cost is much higher. $65.00 CAN labour and materials to do a 16 foot utility with motot cover. It may last only 5 years, but who cares at that price.

boatbaby

Recruit
Help!

Help!

Does anyone know where snap-on covers (the ones that go under the big tarp covers) for a Campion 505 can be purchased online? The Campion accessories website is down and I'm running out of ideas. Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check mine out. This cover is now three years old. It gets trailered at freeway speeds and there are only two straps. Those tie down the nose-bra. Its a snap type cover and is made from the heaviest vinyl with a quality backing. I make them myself. My previous boat (1996) was sold to my son-in-law. I made that cover as well. It is now 10 years old, stored outside, and it too gets trailered at freeway speeds. The drawback is that is does not breathe. But that's not a problem since at home the boat is inside. A good quality (as in sturdy old) Sears Kenmoore sewing machine, a little practice and thought, and you too can make your own covers.
BoatCover.jpg