sitting in front on pontoon?

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 18' bass buggy pontoon that has two fishing seats up front. On the rail it states 'do not sit in fishing seats while underway'. I understand those aren't real sturdy seats, but my question is if I were to change those to a more permanently attached bucket seat would it then be OK? I'm looking at the ones that tend to be in the $200 range and used a lot for the captains chair. Curious if this is a law or just safety issue.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the lakes that I visit, it is the law and a safety issue. The law requires that you are to remain seated behind a barrier that is at least X inches tall (for a pontoon) or that the seat is at least X inches below the top of the gunwale (in a typical boat) while the boat is underway. I can't recall what distance X is at this time.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The reason you can't sit there is if you fell off you would get run over by the boat instantly and stand a fair chance of being chopped up by the prop ...... Pretty much impossible to stop the engine in time.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Absolutely illegal and your local law enforcement absolutely loves to give those tickets. I frequently see pontoons with kids sitting on the front dangling their feet in, while the pontoon is under way at a decent clip. I shudder to think of how bad of an accident that would be.

(7 mph = 10 feet per second, so someone falling off the front will be in the prop in 2.x seconds for your average pontoon. Chances are the captain may not have even noticed someone falling off in that time, let alone started to react)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I see the same thing occur at Lake Powell and other Colorado river lakes with deep V boats. Kids sitting on the front of the boat with their legs hanging over the bow. I can't believe these parents are so dumb.

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Let me clear this up a bit, the seats are behind the rail by about 2'. I've attached a picture to show the current setup. As you can see, one of the seats had the back come off, due to wood rot, so I'm looking at replacing at least that seat, but trying to decide between the fold down fishing seat and a bucket seat. If I go the bucket seat, it would be more permanently mounted.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If the seats are inside the railing then it's the weak pedestals that keep you from using them underway... You would need to upgrade to the pedestals designed for captain's chairs... The seats themselves can be any type.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Let me clear this up a bit, the seats are behind the rail by about 2'. I've attached a picture to show the current setup. As you can see, one of the seats had the back come off, due to wood rot, so I'm looking at replacing at least that seat, but trying to decide between the fold down fishing seat and a bucket seat. If I go the bucket seat, it would be more permanently mounted.

Yeah the 'new' iboats upgrade kills pictures... Anyway, is it a full railing? I've seen pontoons that have fishing chairs up front but the railing is only about 6 inches high. Doesn't count as a gunwale.

SigSaurP229

Commander
In Tennessee the operator of the boat can be charged with Reckless Endangerment which is a Class A Misdemeanor punishable by upto 11 months and 29 days in jail.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think it'll be fine if they are behind the rail. I had an incident one time running the toon. We were under way only about 1/4 throttle,20 foot toon,35 hp motor, no water in the toons,six people onboard. The brother in law decided to step up to the front of the toon,ahead of the rail,the stb toon went under pulling the other toon with it,motor came out of the water before I could react. Flooded the deck and I'd imagine if going faster it very well have kept torpedoing,and flipped on everyone. I seem to rember 3 were seated back by me,the others were up front. Thing's happen quickly when on the water,keep a close eye on passengers,load distrubution,speed. I've heard stories of flipped toons after that I can see how quickly they can.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
In Tennessee the operator of the boat can be charged with Reckless Endangerment which is a Class A Misdemeanor punishable by upto 11 months and 29 days in jail.

Guys, the OP isn't asking whether it's a good idea to let passengers sit at the front of the boat and dangle their legs in the water while underway. That was a huge jump to an inaccurate conclusion. His playpen encloses the entire deck including the fishing seats.

Maclin

Admiral
There are Standards for boat seating that cover what type of seating is ok for what use and speed....

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Seat-Pedestals-Hardware/dm/view_id.473670

Seat pedestals have an ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) rating to help you determine which pedestals are safe for various positions on your boat. Type B rated boat seats are designed for low speeds under 5mph. These are perfect for fishing seats. Type A rated seat pedestals are designed to be used at any speed. Type A pedestals are split into driver and passenger position groups. Seat pedestals with this rating are great for bucket and helm seats.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 18' bass buggy pontoon that has two fishing seats up front. On the rail it states 'do not sit in fishing seats while underway'. I understand those aren't real sturdy seats, but my question is if I were to change those to a more permanently attached bucket seat would it then be OK? I'm looking at the ones that tend to be in the $200 range and used a lot for the captains chair. Curious if this is a law or just safety issue.

OK, you said it says on the rail.... I assume that your seats are behind the rail ? if so you are good for safety and law. Outside the rail NO. The sticker is there for labial reasons from the manufacture. Too bad your pics didn't work. Safe Boating.....

Maclin

Admiral
Should have typed it in this way...

Those seats mounted that way are only to be used at trolling speeds or less, not "underway" speeds

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are Standards for boat seating that cover what type of seating is ok for what use and speed.... http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Seat-Pedestals-Hardware/dm/view_id.473670 Seat pedestals have an ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) rating to help you determine which pedestals are safe for various positions on your boat. Type B rated boat seats are designed for low speeds under 5mph. These are perfect for fishing seats. Type A rated seat pedestals are designed to be used at any speed. Type A pedestals are split into driver and passenger position groups. Seat pedestals with this rating are great for bucket and helm seats.
Thanks that totally answers my question. Yes my seats are totally enclosed by full height railing and I've been around boats for my entire 41 years which is why I ask what I'm unsure of. Logic told me me the seats I have aren't for high speed travel, but being new to pontoons figured better ask. I plan to replace, but if that means spending $$$ on seats, I want them usable even when under way.