Pontoon steering problem

wayne c.

Cadet
I have a new Bennington 20' pontoon w/ 90 HP Merc 4-stroke. The boat steers extremely hard to the left, if I let go of the wheel the boat pulls hard to the right. Standing behind the engine the trailing edge of the trim tab is adjusted to the left. Is the trim tab adjusted to the wrong side? Dealer is long way from where I am, hasn't been much help by phone. Any help would be appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Pontoon steering problem

leaner,<br /><br />That is correct, adjust it the other way.

wayne c.

Cadet

Thanks for info, you'd think after havin 4 boats, I'd be a little more on the ball.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

have a 25, Crest Classic, with a 90HP Merc 2 Stroke. I had the same problem as you, I found that having the trim tab set dead center, gives me the best turning effort, with no pulling.

wayne c.

Cadet

Thanks no harbour--going to lake this week-end, will set tab and try it.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the trim tab fails to fully correct the problem try trimming the motor down just a little. Doing this makes a differance on mine.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Learner48,<br /><br />Take your socket wrench with you, adjust it, go play a little bit, and adjust agian. It took me about 4 tries, to find the best postion for it. The local sand bar, was great for stopping and adjusting it.

badfisherman

Recruit
Have a 2009 Fisher220DLX pontoon w/60Merc four stroke. Steers easy to the right, but takes both hands to go left. Any ideas?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Badfisherman, you should start a new thread on your problem. The one you posted to is 12 years old.