Speed and best use help?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I am fairly new to power boating on my own, I bought a boat last year and got some great advice from these forms how to fix it after it got sunk due to rain and a failed bilge pump. This yeas I fixed a few things fiberglassesed it a bit in places and installed all new electrical. Now I am wondering what kind of speeds do you think I can get with it and the best way to get the most out of my gas. It is a 14 foot run about, with a 50 on the back ( rated for a 30 but 50 came with the boat) I will have about 6 gallons of fuel, 100-250 pounds of people and gear on at the most. Any ideas on speed and best way to use the boat? I just enjoy being on the water and like doing different things out there.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its hard to make a useful comment with such limited information. The fact that it sank, is overpowered and needed fiber glass repair would make me reluctant to go out in it at all. I think that your estimatated load of 100-250 lbs is low unless you are very small or not planning on going with anyone else. Knowing the brand and model or at least hull design beyond run about might also help.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Just take it out on the water, do different things, mash the throttle down, hold it there for 6.32 minutes, use your smartphone GPS speed App and verify top speed.
Then you will have answered all your questions in one short ride. Priceless.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ LOL :D

Depending on the age and hull design, a 14' closed bow runabout with a 35HP should be around a 30MPH boat. You're about doubling the HP, which probably won't make it go that much faster (power doesn't equal speed with boats). However, a lot of those older hulls were a little tippy in design. On ours, a full throttle turn even at 25 or 30 could stick a gunwale nearly in the water. Be careful you don't over torque when turning.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Kind of like with my old tri hull, a full throttle turn on that would just skip it across the water like a skipping stone. Considering it has been sunk I would estimate your speed at about 5 mph, the hull is probably water logged.

I wouldn't want the liability of that first ride either.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Over powered boats are not a good idea, even though it came that way, because you own it it's now your liability too. As others mentioned there could be all kinds of handling issues running this boat aggressively. Use your head and be careful about high speed, quick turns and such. You may be just fine, but still be very careful with the extra power. Throw a couple pictures up here and you will get a bunch of comments.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
You need to provide more info for anybody to give you any useful info, but seriously if you want to see how fast it is take it out. Its not gonna go very fast, so unless you know of a reason not to go play. Have fun.

nlain

Commander
If it was me making the first high speed run I would go out early in the AM before the wind gets up and other boats are out, water should be slick smooth then.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Previously sunken/ Overpowered boat/ Novice Boater...
:popcorn:

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hope someone follows him with a video camera. Sounds like a good boating fail for youtube.
Glenn

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Previously sunken/ Overpowered boat/ Novice Boater...
:popcorn:
This is not the time to sit back, watch, U-tube, eat popcorn or laugh when he hurts himself. Its time to give advice to NOT go out in a deathtrap. The person he injures might be a bystander and it might be YOU.

He was warned.

NYBo

Admiral
Then you will have answered all your questions in one short ride. Priceless.
If you don't kill yourself first. The boat is way overpowered. I had a 14-footer with a 50, but it was rated for that HP. It did mid 30s. But again, it was built to handle the speed and horsepower.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
So I have ran this boat now for a fair bit and if runs awesome, the 50 does not feel overpowered much if you are smart with cornering. The sinking last year was for less than 12 hour and the fiberglass issue mentioned above came after it had sunk so no large amount of water got in that I know of. As for the person saying that my guess on weight for passengers and cargo was a bit low, I am 107 lbs and the other person who has came out with me is under 100.

No one got hurt, but my wallet paying for the gas we burned during my July trip (4 days of mostly constant running). For the person who said novice boater yes I am when by myself but have been driving boats for 4 years now. I have only driven up until this year with other experienced boaters and with cadets. I was the main safety boat for the sailing course(s).

As for my top speed that I ended up reaching, it was 34-35 MPH, it kept hopping back and forth.

Maclin

Admiral
Do you mean it was bouncing left/right on the chines at the rear? Sponson walking or chine walking? Hope that is not what you meant, just saying, that is a dangerous condition and classic symptom of overpowered/too heavy of a powerplant for the hull.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Oh no not that I meant like the speed was sitting just at the 34-35 mph mark and it was hopping between the 2. I did have it hit up on the chines and I took a marker and made a mark to not go past. Went to shore later that day and made a bracket to stop the throttle from getting bumped up too high past that limit (I left some room so that I can go into the waves when needed. I have only had the boat on the chines once and it was only long enough for me to realize what had happened and to pull it back down to a safer speed.

roffey

Commander
Well it sound like your having fun and playing it safe, as a young man i grew up on the water and learnt many lessons the hard way

Maclin

Admiral
Oh no not that I meant like the speed was sitting just at the 34-35 mph mark and it was hopping between the 2. I did have it hit up on the chines and I took a marker and made a mark to not go past. Went to shore later that day and made a bracket to stop the throttle from getting bumped up too high past that limit (I left some room so that I can go into the waves when needed. I have only had the boat on the chines once and it was only long enough for me to realize what had happened and to pull it back down to a safer speed.

Well, I feel better now! Have fun and be safe :rockon: