Transom boarding ladder

bryanzzz

Seaman
Just ordered a Garelick compact 2 step boarding ladder for my aluminum Xpress XP180. Plan to mount on port side, ladder has four anchor points and to be able to locate the ladder in the ideal location looks like I will only be able to through bolt two of the anchor points on the right side and anchor the two points on the left with stainless screws, would use largest screws possible. Looking at Garelick installation diagram on line (have not received ladder yet) each anchor location is drilled for 2 bolts/screws in my case. Anyone had a similar problem with installing ladders on aluminum transom using screws, concerned about holding strength. May be able to mount ladder over a few inches closer to outboard and through bolt all contact points...if ladder does not interfere with motor clearance. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Used 2" #14 SS sheet metal screws on all 4 anchor points (8 screws) when I installed my boarding ladder on my Tracker and it's a very stout installation. I expect the ladder will break before the screws fail.

Last edited:

bryanzzz

Seaman
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. Quick question, can you tell me the height of your transom at the ladder location? Thanks again.

Last edited:

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice install on that tracker. The top two mounting locations are the most important to secure.

Regarding ladders on these kind of boats, I have a friend that showed me a pretty cool product he installed on his boat called The Rescue Step. He looked at other products and chose this one. It looks like it's made to address aluminum boats typically used for fishing (unlike pleasure craft with built-in ladders). It's got a lower profile than the other ladder products on the market, so no engine clearance issues, and looks very sturdy/heavy duty.

Here's a link to their site for anyone interested:

http://therescuestep.net/

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice install on that tracker. The top two mounting locations are the most important to secure.

Regarding ladders on these kind of boats, I have a friend that showed me a pretty cool product he installed on his boat called The Rescue Step. He looked at other products and chose this one. It looks like it's made to address aluminum boats typically used for fishing (unlike pleasure craft with built-in ladders). It's got a lower profile than the other ladder products on the market, so no engine clearance issues, and looks very sturdy/heavy duty.

Here's a link to their site for anyone interested:

http://therescuestep.net

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for the double post. The system definitely is having issues.