I found my old boat . . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
. . . listed on boston.craigslist.org :eek: :) 1991 Formula 242SS

I sold it in July 2012 and it looks like it is for sale again. I occasionally have wondered what became of it. Looks about the same as when I had it. :thumb:

Attachments

• photo200405.jpg
    photo200405.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jestor68

Commander
After a season of feeding those twin motors, they got tired of it too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I sold my pride and joy in 1984 because the family was growing and I needed a bigger boat. The new one is here to this day because I made the right choice.

Anyhoot, in 2010 I saw my old boat on a lawn for sale and even after 39 years she still looked like new. The second owner was selling it after 26 years (of his ownership with garage storage) because he didn't use her any more.

Two years later I saw it again on another lawn for sale. The third owner bought her cheap and kept her outside uncovered in NY winter weather for 2 years. The upholstery was cracked, the floor was rotten the gel coat was faded and the trailer was now rusty.

Hope I don't see her again.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, I'd still like to have my old boat, except after having the 33 footer, I would miss the extra space. Can't beat the ride of the 242 though, that's what I miss the most.

thumpar

Admiral
The person that bought my old boat said that it was her old boat that was sold when she got divorced. She was really happy to have it back. I had it for 7 years. I hope I will see it again. It was a great boat when we had it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Well, my old (aka previously owned) boat has not sold yet. As I have frequently looked at the local and regional boat market and various listings (mostly Formula's :) ) over the summer, I have noticed it continues to be listed. It is now 20% down from the original asking price and the "Fall Market" is upon us.

Quite a few other boats of similar nature on the market as well . . . They started the season out at a fairly high price and are still not sold. It think that there is a selling philosophy that some folks just don't understand.

I've been thinking if I ever have some extra cash, another deep V-hull boat (like the F-242) would be nice on those windier days; but I think I will always want a 'bigger' boat and twin engines from now on . . . or maybe a sailboat :noidea:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sold my Ozark fishing boat in the beginning of the summer to the grandson of the original owner (I was the third owner). He bought it as a surprise for his dad (the original owner's son).

tpenfield

Staff member
I sold my Ozark fishing boat in the beginning of the summer to the grandson of the original owner (I was the third owner). He bought it as a surprise for his dad (the original owner's son).
Yea, I think that is kind of cool, being able to buy-back something that is the object of memories after many years. I have 'looked' on the web for some signs of my old sailboat - a Catalina 22 named 'Essentials'. So far, no luck.

tpenfield

Staff member
UPDATE:

I found my old boat AGAIN :eek: :)

I happened to be looking through Formula boat listings on CL to help a buddy of mine find one, and wouldn't you know . . . I came across my old boat. It is definitely mine based on some of the unique markings on the boat and trailer that I could see in the Ad.

F242SS-listedonCL.jpg

Not sure if it is the same folks who I sold it to or if it has changed hands since being listed for sale a few years ago.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I also noticed that the boat still has the same beaching habits, based on the photos in the Ad . . . :D

The Boat as Mine . . .
beached2.jpg

The Boat as Theirs . . .
f242onland.jpg

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I know :D. Tide? I did laundry yesterday :D

I assume that the current owner's picture is from somewhere north of Boston or southern NH - they have 9 foot tides in that area. :eek: