Reverse polarity and Honda Generator

Adee-Lee

Recruit
I recently purchased a Bayliner 242 Ciera Classic and decided to also purchase a Honda 2000 portable generator as a power accessory. However, when I pluged the shorepower line into the generator my AC inverter monitor showed a red reverse polarity light. The inverter was fine while connected to a regular shorepower outlet but not with the generator. I have heard this is a common problem with small portable units and that if you pigtail the neutral wire to the ground wire it corrects the problem. But...so much for my warrenty??? Any ideas out there to help me?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Reverse polarity and Honda Generator

I'll try to help you. First we need to define neutral and ground. The neutral leg in an AC circuit provides the return path for the current. The ground normally does not carry current and is there for safety. The ground is connect to an earth ground. At the power distribution point neutral and ground are connected together.<br /><br />On a portable generator there is no earth ground. Most likely the inverter safety circuit is sensing that neutral and ground are at different potentials and assuming it is a polarity problem. If you connect neutral to ground at the generator the light should go out BUT this can create a safety hazard. If you touch the generator while touching earth ground, i.e. the water or a metal structure on the dock, there could be a shock hazard. You can avoid this by connecting the generator to earth ground. I would think that a ground wire connect to an a sacrificial anode below the water line would work.

Adee-Lee

Recruit
Re: Reverse polarity and Honda Generator

I see your point and it makes sense. You'd think that Honda would have come up with a solution, but after talking to them today, they admit that the problem occurs and states UNOFFICIALLY that you should be able to plug in the unit without any damage and without altering the wiring. I don't think they're concerned about my warranty. Thanks for the info.