How do I best use my trim tabs?

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys...1977 22.5 ft. Cruisers Inc. with a 77 235 hp Omc 351W. My question has to do with the best utilization of the trim tabs. When I first throttle up, what position should the tabs be in? Should they be fully retracted (up)? I've also nearly wet my pants when adjusting and overcompensated and the boat listed severely. I need some beginners advice on how to best use the tabs to the advantage they were meant to be. Thanks!

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I best use my trim tabs?

You should throttle up with the tabs fully down. As you gain speed/rpms, gradually retract them to get your boat on an even plane. I'm going to buy Smart Tabs from IBoats, you don't need to do anything with those----all automatic.<br />Backlash

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you go to bennetts web site you can download a game that explains how they work,and lets you practice.when you take off,hit both buttons for bow down, as you come up on a plain bring them back up in short bursts til you have bow where you want it. To level boat use short bursts on the button and give the boat time to respond before you hit the button again.It takes practice but once you used to it you will love them.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It will take practice as you are dealing with not only the trim tabs but also the motor trim. Mine sometimes drive me nuts as I have twins. I take off - push the buttons - get everything just where I want them and someone on board lets their hat fly off & I got to start all over again.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Unless your boat is really hard to get on plane or your tabs are too small I would never put them down very far. Just put them down a little and advance the throttle. I set my throttle around 3000 rpms and after the boat gets up on plane I adjust the tabs where I want them. After that I leave them where set and next time will jump on plane and level out real nice unless condition change. If seas get bad where you have to slow down then readjust. Mine adjust so easy that I never really even think about it.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boatest,<br /><br />As much as you and I disagree on many things and as much as you and I agree on many things this may be one where we are of exactly of the same mind.<br /><br />Set the dam things and then generally leave them alone except for VERY minor tweaking to either level the boat up in changing conditions or in some circumstances to help you hold onto plane at a slightly lower speed. About the only time you should ever have them in an extreme down position is when you find yourself out there plowing into a head sea (at very low speed unless you own stock in Chevron) when there is no other choice. Of course in that situation about all you are trying to do is get home with your knees and back teeth still intact.<br /><br />Tabs really were never designed to make up for lack of power, and that is what you are trying to do by beginning your hole shot with your tabs full down. A properly powered boat will come up out of the hole without tabs just fine.<br /><br />Oh, and there is a giant misconception about tabs that I think folks who havne't had them a long time need to understand. The use of Tabs will never give you better fuel economy or a higher speed. In fact just the opposite will be the effect of using them. That is not a bad thing, its simply a tradeoff for better overall performance and comfort. I say that for this reason. Any time you use your tabs you are putting more hull in the water and that means more drag. On top of that the extended tabs themselves offer more drag. That additional drag, both from the tab plates being lower than the hull bottom and from the additional bow area that will be held down in the water will always result in increased fuel consumption and lower speed for any give horsepower output. However it is worth it in almost every case as long as you don't get yourself into a situtation where you have gone to extremes in adjusting the hull attitude. A boat riding level is a safer boat for everyone in it. A boat that has its bow pushed down to increase visability for the pilot is a safer boat than one that is pointed at the sky. A boat that is held more stable because of increased plaining area is a safer boat. Tabs are a very good thing and I personally think they should be on every boat of 20 feet or greater that is on the water. The trick is to use them prudently and only as much as needed and then to get out of the habit of fiddeling with them all the time.<br /><br />Thom

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

whats thr address for the bennets site cant seem to find it

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input, fellows. Hope to put my boat in the water this weekend and just practice. Digimortal, the web site and the simulator were helpful . I need to get a trim gauge, I think. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/. Thanks again for the help!

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen on other posts where some said that deploying the tabs (I assume that's the down position) at low speeds will help control the "wander" that deep vee single sterndrives suffer from. True or false? Would be very helpful when trying to load on the trailer..

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

ThomWV;<br /><br />I would like to talk to you regarding Trim Tabs. Although I agree with much of what you have said there are a few things where I do not agree. John @ 800-233-0194. We manufacture Trim Tabs (Smart Tabs)

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

please share your knowledge here as well, John. I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Trim tabs are like flaps on airplane wings - down when you are at slow speeds, up when you are cruising (basics). <br /><br />Manual (helm controlled) tabs like you have allow you to control the attitude of the boat in all directions. Front to back, side to side and corner to corner. <br /><br />Power is not everything - hull shape and design is just a important to performance. Ie a barge will never pull skiers, and a shi boat will never carry 500,000 Lbs. <br /><br />Trim tabs allow you to widen the efficiency window of operation by changing the hull design. <br /><br />It will help you plane easier ( tabs down or deployed), cruise at lower speeds on plane (partially deployed), or control balance by deploying one or the other tabs more than the oposite one ( ie: in quartering seas).<br /><br />Learning to use them may require soome practice, but it is worth the effort.<br /><br />Where I disagree with the other comments is the fuel savings issue. If you trim your boat to its most efficient attitude (under any given conditions or speed) the boat will be more fuel efficient. <br /><br />As far as getting on plane is concerned, there may be a "Best Position" of deployment which will depend on power, and tabs size. The most deployed position may be too severe to allow the best acceleration because they may act too much like breaks. In most cases theis fully deployed angle should not exceed 25 degrees. and if installed correctly, this would not create a breaking effect. The angle of deployment is a benefit for planing as it increases the lift at the stern. Since the boat rotates on an axis stern up means bow down.<br /><br />We do not make helm controlled trim tabs, we make automatic self controlled tabs called Smart Tabs (typically for boats up to 22'). However, there is nothing you can add to a boat that will improve the overall performance and handling than trim tabs. <br /><br />Learn to use yours by practicing. Try not to practice with a boat load of people.

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks John.....good basic information, exactly what I need. I am wondering if I need to change from helm controlled to Smart Tabs. The research I've done thus far is all favorable toward your smart tabs. It would be nice not to have to think about the tabs....What do you recommend for my 22.5 ft. 235 hp Cruiser?<br />Thanks,<br />Dan

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to hijack this thread but I have a question on topic.<br /><br />We added smart tabs to our 18 foot Glastron open bow and could not have been more pleased with the results. <br /><br />Today we purchased a 24 foot rinker deckboat. John, it weighs around 4400 lbs dry and has a 300hp motor. Top speed is around 51. Can we use smart tabs with a boat this big? Will the deckboat hull (referred to in boating magazine as a trimaran) cause any issues using the smart tabs?<br /><br />If not, does anyone have experience with hydralic tabs (bennett or otherwise) with this type and size of boat? Our main concern is the porpoising as the hole shot is fine and the minimum planing speed is as low as we need.<br /><br />If we were to have to go with bennett, dows anyone have an opinion on the ATC add on?<br /><br />Thanks

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

To: won't float boat;<br /><br />Since you already have Helm Controlled Trim Tabs, and I assume they are working correctly, I would first learn to use them. We do not sell helm controlled tabs but understand their benefits. If you learn to use them and still find that they are cumbersome for your type of boating them contact us.<br /><br />reference;<br /><br />I think we have talked, but given the information you have offered, the ST1290-80 should make you very happy - again!<br /><br />Thank you for the support.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />John

Phyrfighter95

Recruit

Sorry, another question for John. Would these smart tabs work on much smaller boats as well? I have a 14' runabout with a 50 horse. I was having problems gettng up on a plane and tried a Stingray hydrofoil. I couldnt have been more pleased with the new planing ability. When I get on the throttle she is imediately on plane. My beef with the foil is handling. Steering feels much more loose, almost like I've lost some control. Would the smart tabs fix this problem, or does that just come with the small boat/small motor (needing planing help) territory?

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to John and everyone else for your help on this topic....you guys are a tremendous asset to me!!<br />Thanks again,<br />Dan

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Phyrfighter;<br /><br />The first boat that I built Smart Tabs (before we even had a name for them) was my 10' inflatable with a 10HP outboard. We make Tabs for boats from 9' with 6HP motors to 22' + with 240 HP + motors. Yours would take our ST980-40 which is a 9" x 8" plate and 40 Lb actuators.<br /><br />You must remove the Stingray foil if you use our Smart Tabs. <br /><br />You have already experienced handling problems which are typical.<br /><br />The reason you are feeling that the steering is "loose" Is that the foil continues to lift more and more as the speed increases. This excessive lift (at cruising speeds) is centered on the boat (ie:motor) which means that you are attempting to balalnce the boat on it's keel. Like a teeter totter. This excessive lift also pushes the bow down, and the result is then bow steering, especially in turns. In a tight fast turn you will also cavitate the prop. <br /><br />If you think that your boat planes better now - you ain't seen nuttin yet! The tabs are 10 times more effective.<br /><br />However they will never provide too much stern lift since they retact with the water pressure and are adjustable to your specific boat. The results in all areas are beyond your expectations. And we guarantee it, or your money back!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Won't-Float<br />You need to take your boat out on a windy day when you have no place to go and learn what your tabs can do. Yes all tabs can raise the stern and lower the bow to get you on plane quicker and at a lower speed.<br />Helm controlled tabs can do so much more. With helm controlled tabs you can adjust for any wind or sea condition. My boat comes up on plane between 18 to 20 mph with no tabs. When there is 8 foot swells or a 3 foot short chop I am not going to run 20 mph, Instead I am going to find a safe speed and adjust my tabs to get my bow down to cut the waves for the best posible ride. My boat like most light boats will lean into the wind when have a strong cross wind. When it does the the spray on my boat will come off the side of the boat and be thrown up into the air, the wind then blows the salt spray on to the stern of the boat and the back half of the boat will be wet. With helm controled tabs I adjust tab on the windward side down to level the boat and the spray now comes off the bottom of the boat. Instead of the spray coming off the side and thrown up into the air it now comes off the bottom of the boat and is thrown out to the side. The wind still tries to blow it back onto the boat but by the time it does the boat has moved foward so the boat stays dry.<br /><br />When the boat not loaded even or all your guest are on one side of the boat looking at the sunrise over San Francisco the boat will lean to that side. Touch the tab down on that side and the boat is level and running smooth.<br /><br />In a big following sea it is not safe to run with any tabs down so you put the tabs all the way up then just level the boat.<br /><br />My point is adjustable tabs can do a lot of things that automatic tabs can not do. You need to take the boat out on a not so nice day and learn to use them. It only takes 30 minutes or so and you will learn to love the control you have.<br /><br />I will add that when I first installed the tabs on my boat it came with a single joy stick control. I found that on some days a little tricky to adjust a single tab down or up to fine tune our ride. I change to a dual rocker switch control which I like much better.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

ThomWV<br />You are right we do not always agree but I feel different points of view is what makes this board great. I agree with you that tabs in general means a little lower top speed and a little more fuel use but well worth it. However there are a few exceptions. <br /><br />One place where it will actually save fuel is in a condition where you can not run fast enough speed to get on plane. In this condition you are plowing and the bow wave makes it like driving a car up hill. Adding just enough trim to force the boat on plane will actually save fuel. I see this condition a lot out of Bodega Bay on the nasty days with big swells and chop. My boat is only 21 one feet. I will bring boat up to a safe speed then add enough trim to force the boat to plane. When I do the speed will increase some and the rpms will go up as the boat is no longer plowing into that bow wave. Also you can trim the engine vertical for best speed so the prop thrust is not down or up but straight back.<br /><br />One time I saw a small increase in top speed with the use of tabs. This boat really did not reach a clean plane even at WOT. To get the bow down had to trim motor all the way down and under the boat. Putting trim tabs down a little and adjusting the outdrive vertical resulted in a little more speed. I do not know if this boat was down on power, full of water, filled with lead or just a stern heavy Bayliner but the tabs did allow for a small increase in speed. It was a friend of a friends boat and I did not want to get involved in working on the boat so keep my mouth shut.